[NIFL-ESL:10619] Re: Defending Workplace ESL

From: Tracy VonMaluski (TracyVM@epcc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 22:09:10 EST

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:09:10 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Tracy VonMaluski" <TracyVM@epcc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10619] Re: Defending Workplace ESL

Are all of their safety labels in the workers' native languages?
Does everyone in the company speak the workers' native languages, in
case of an emergency?
I'm sure you'd have to convince them of the practicality, utility, and
cost effectiveness of having the workers learn English.  I guess you'd
probably have to talk in business terms, using terms like "bottom line",
"efficiency", and "cost effectiveness" (no disrespect intended for the
business community).
A possible nice big explosion resulting from not being able to read
English safety instructions would be a convincing argument, as well as
possible emergencies where people didn't understand each other
clearly....

Tracy vonMaluski
El Paso, TX

>>> Peter.MacMonagle@cpcc.edu 12/1/2004 4:24:35 PM >>>
To the Group,

I need a little help.

I am going to have a meeting with managers at one of the companies I
teach at.  They don't think the ESL program benefits the company,
although there are people who can see the students making progress.

If anyone has information on how ESL programs benefit companies, their
bottom line, productivity, etc. I would be grateful for the assistance.

Wm. Peter MacMonagle, M.Ed.
Central Piedmont Community College

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' ('I found it!') but rather 'hmm....that's
funny...'"    - Isaac Asimov.