[NIFL-ESL:10520] software

From: Dottie (dottie@shattuck.net)
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 14:50:51 EST

Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 14:50:51 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Dottie" <dottie@shattuck.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10520] software

Hello, colleagues!  I know this question has been asked before, but please
bear with -- and update --me.

Tri-District Adult ESL recently received a grant!  Naturally, my boss wants
to get some computer software for ESL adults, esp. Beginners.

I must be honest -- I'm not very fond of computer-assisted learning for
Beginners.  I think Beginners need to communicate w/humans, not machines.
However, I can see the benefits of a "back-up system" in our multi-level,
open-entry classes.  So.............

What software do you suggest?   Any particular one we should NOT get?
Anything with dialogs?  Pronunciation basics?  Literacy basics?  How do you
use the materials?

Also, do you know of any good videos that focus on basics, including the
alphabet & numbers.

Use my personal email unless you think others here are also interested.

Thanks!

Dottie Shattuck            dottie@shattuck.net
Tri-District Adult Edu.
York County, SC