[HealthLiteracy 2513] Discussion on Diversity and Literacy List

Daphne Greenberg

alcdgg at langate.gsu.edu
Tue Nov 25 17:35:22 EST 2008

Starting December 1st a discussion will be held on the Diversity and Literacy list. Those of you are who are interested in women's issues as they pertain to health literacy may be interested in joining. The focus of the discussion will be on creating networks to support women's literacy, and we definitely want and need to hear your voices and perspectives as they relate to health literacy issues. Scroll down to see how to subscribe to the list (and don't forget-if you wish, you can always unsubscribe after the discussion is over).

Here are the specifics:

>From Monday Dec. 1- Friday December 12, Dr. Mev Miller will be facilitating a guest discussion on: Creating Networks to Support Women's Literacy.

Mev Miller, Ed.D is an educator and consultant on issues of women and literacy. She is the founder and Director of WE LEARN (Women Expanding - Literacy, Education, Action, Resource, Network) http://www.litwomen.org/welearn.html
WE LEARN also sponsors: Women Leading Through Reading http://www.litwomen.org/wltr.html and Women's Perspectives http://www.litwomen.org/perspectives.html

The focus of this discussion will be on further developing a women and literacy hub/clearinghouse for the nation. The specific focus of this discussion will be on how can local and regional efforts gain visibility and support through such a network/clearinghouse?

In preparation for this discussion, please start thinking about the following:

1) What are individuals and programs doing locally to address women's literacy issues? For this discussion, locally means in your classroom, program, neighborhood, community, city, state. What you are doing might be a curriculum, a specific type of program, or any kind of organizing....and more.

2) What do you need to support the work you are doing?

3) Would you find regional (state or area of country) events or conferences useful? Be specific - how and what would you need or desire? How might a national organization facilitate regional supports?

4) How can a national clearinghouse of information specifically focused on women's literacy issues, curriculum, and research support your work? What do you need it to do?

It would be great if you can share the health literacy perspective to the above questions!

To join the list for this discussion, go to:
http://nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/discussions.html
in the middle, if you scroll down you will see:
Diversity and Literacy
you should click on that and fill in the information to subscribe.
This is the critical part:
you will get an email requesting confirmation of your subscription. You MUST respond or else, you will not be subscribed.
At the end of the discussion you can unsubscribe, by going to the
same page as mentioned above ( http://nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/
discussions.html ) and if you scroll down you will see Unsubscribe and you should complete the information that is requested.

Daphne Greenberg
Facilitator of Diversity and Literacy List