[Workplace 1661] Gates Funding?

Brian, Dr Donna J G

djgbrian at utk.edu
Mon Nov 17 14:01:06 EST 2008

Workplace List members,

I received the following announcement, and wonder if anyone has any
information about how these funds will be distributed. I am wondering
if this funding might be applied to workplace literacy efforts. We will
want to keep our eyes open for further information about this
possibility.

Donna

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation releases ambitious new education
giving plans
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001LNXSPcqqfImSZN4NKfcje272SNyrSUJHFHXovJ7G-0YJ
BXzcmkHf-M8aUcO-v8lZ2ZaHYuxuaoUoRgsqzw_5wsyFpj-1drv0-6t0PX3Ju-NbspW8iXMY
P7_dgFq4U5rVOhHu_Uq_8rBt5fUR0_2grm-3PAvUAHbsyRdHTPichYgTZhrcAkV90120L0dY
W9uA3los0gJAy28=>
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has announced its intention to
refocus its education giving strategy on four core issues, according to
The Seattle Times: double the number of low-income students who complete
a college or post-high school degree, identify and pay higher salaries
for good teaching, help average teachers get better, and create more
accurate tests and a national set of learning standards for high
schools. The new initiative will increase the amount that the foundation
-- already the biggest giver in U.S. education -- spends each year to
improve the nation's schools. Foundation officials are not yet saying
how much the foundation plans to give, but it spent $4 billion on
education in the past eight years -- half on scholarships and half on
its work to improve high schools.
Read more:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008378857_webgateseduca
tion11m.html
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001LNXSPcqqfImSZN4NKfcje272SNyrSUJHFHXovJ7G-0YJ
BXzcmkHf-M8aUcO-v8lZ2ZaHYuxuaoUoRgsqzw_5wsyFpj-1drv0-6t0PX3Ju-NbspW8iXMY
P7_dgFq4U5rVOhHu_Uq_8rBt5fUR0_2grm-3PAvUAHbsyRdHTPichYgTZhrcAkV90120L0dY
W9uA3los0gJAy28=>

Donna Brian

Moderator, LINCS Workplace Literacy Discussion List

Off-list contact djgbrian at utk.edu

workplace at nifl.gov <mailto:workplace at nifl.gov>

To subscribe/unsubscribe/change options/access archives: