[Assessment 1632] Re: Reply to Questions 1 and 2

Bower, Carol

cbower at necc.mass.edu
Tue Feb 3 18:37:13 EST 2009

We, at SABES, have been working diligently to improve the teaching of
math to adult learners and while I am far from an expert on math, I have
learned a great deal from our math leaders regarding the usefulness of
learning algebra. While on the surface it may appear that learning
algebra is unnecessary in order to succeed in post-secondary education
and in life, I have learned from our Math Leaders that in learning how
to do algebra, we actually are learning algebraic thinking, which is a
critical thinking and problem solving skill needed to succeed, not only
in college, but in life. My non-expert take on this is that algebraic
thinking will enable you work with a few unknown variables to figure out
what might happen if x or y occurs. So beyond getting a GED and passing
the Accuplacer, algebra serves a very important function.

On algebraic thinking:

http://www.learner.org/courses/learningmath/algebra/session1/part_a/inde
x.html

Carol

Carol Bower

Director, Northeast SABES

Northern Essex Community College

45 Franklin Street

Lawrence, MA 01840

978-738-7301

"SABES: Training Leaders in Adult Basic Education"

For more information on the System for Adult Basic Education Support
(SABES) please go to: sabes.org/northeast

For information on upcoming SABES offerings or to register for events
please go to: calendar.sabes.org/northeast

"If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep
walking, eventually you'll make progress." ~ Barack Obama