[Assessment 1653] Re: Reply to Questions 1 and 2

Susan Kidd

SKidd at sbctc.edu
Wed Feb 4 10:47:48 EST 2009

Carol highlights a common perception among people who are less familiar with math, that algebra is working with unknown variables. It's true that much of the process of algebra deals with variables (known and unknown), but its underlying principles have to do with recognizing and finding patterns and making predictions based upon the patterns.

Knowing how to describe a pattern as an algebraic expression can be a very useful and sometimes enjoyable tool. But recognizing patterns and learning to make predictions based upon patterns have many applications beyond passing the GED and Accuplacer and other school situations.

Susan

Susan Kidd
ABE Professional Development Coordinator
State Board for Community & Technical Colleges
office phone: 509-682-6968
cell phone: 509-630-4520
skidd at sbctc.edu