[HealthLiteracy 2195] Re: NEW RESOURCE- Staying Healthy: An English Learner's Guide to Health Care and Healthy Living

Esparza, Julia M.

jespar at lsuhsc.edu
Wed Jul 30 09:11:33 EDT 2008

I think this is a wonderful resource. I've already sent it on to
several people. The only thing that might limit its use is the Florida
specific references to the Medicaid programs. But I understand why that
was put in. I love the sign section in the very beginning. It would be
nice if we could have standardized signage throughout the country. That
was something discussed at the Joint Commission Symposium in 2006 but I
haven't seen any further development by Joint Commission to mandate
standardized signage. I wonder if state health departments could
mandate standardized signage? As a user of health services recently in
a new location it would be nice to find areas more easily. It seems
every hospital has to call their departments something different outside
ER. At my old job they created an ER entrance with RED on the outside of
the building to signify ER. Of course several employees said long
before that (but I'm color blind). The administration then said well it
says Emergency. What if I can't read was the next question.
Administration didn't ever answer.

Julie

Julie Esparza
Clinical Medical Librarian
LSU Health Sciences Center - Shreveport, LA

LSUHSC-S Medical Library Evidence Alert
http://lsuhsc-sevidencealert.blogspot.com
Health Literacy Alerts
http://healthliteracyalerts.blogspot.com