[HealthLiteracy 1663] Wednesday Question: Health Literacy and Marketing

Julie McKinney

julie_mcKinney at worlded.org
Thu Jan 17 09:59:09 EST 2008

Hi Everyone,

I apologize that I've neglected the Wednesday Question lately! But Im back on board (a day late) and here we go...

I got a nice white paper bag in the mail from Rite Aid pharmacy. It says to put your medicines in the bag, bring it in to Rite Aid, and a pharmacist will go over your medicines and explain what you don't understand. And you get a $10 gift certicicate if you do this. So we have a pharmacy using a health literacy strategy (and a good one, I think) to market their services. I think this is really interesting, and rather promising that good HL practices can be seen as a hook to get people interested.

What do you all think of this concept of using HL for marketing of services? I see potential for improvement of services overall, but I'm sure there are many issues to look at.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts and other examples of this phenomenon!

All the best,
Julie

Julie McKinney
Discussion List Moderator