[NIFL-HEALTH:3863] Task force on health literacy

From: Marge Kars (karsm@bronsonhg.org)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 09:00:52 EST

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:00:52 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Marge Kars" <karsm@bronsonhg.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:3863] Task force on health literacy

Dear list members,

I have been a member of this list for several years but have never sent a request for information or responded to a message.
Last week I was asked to head a task force here in my organization to look at issues related to health literacy.  The organization includes three hospitals, several physician practices, about 65 physicians and an insurance company.
Within the hospital the Patient and Family Education committee has worked for two years to review and revise all in-house publications for ease of reading as well as advising departments on the appropriateness of purchased publications.  This process will need to be extended to all outpatient departments.
We'll also need to educate staff and increase awareness so that we can offer help to patients. This will be a large project that will take several years.
I'm hoping someone has done something similar in a healthcare system and would be willing to share experiences. Actually any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Marge Kars

Marge Kars AHIP, Manager
Bronson Health Sciences Library and HealthAnswers
Bronson Methodist Hospital
601 John Street Box B
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
269 341 8627