[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2837] re: active graphics

From: Andrew Pleasant (Andrew_Pleasant@Brown.edu)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 06:35:49 EDT

Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 06:35:49 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Andrew Pleasant <Andrew_Pleasant@Brown.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2837] re: active graphics

On Steve's question (below), we did see some of that type of activity in the
participants of the Unweaving the Web study, occurred on pages where
scrolling was possible as well. In some cases, I think the novelty of the
web interface and the ability to quickly skip from page to page drove that
behavior. I do agree completely that what did not happen in those cases was
any real engagement with the material.

Recently I talked with a number of new users who, while experiencing the
barriers of navigation/ access, expressed an opinion that in time they would
surmount these barriers (many initially perceived the barriers as a function
of their skills, not related to the design of the web page). That leads me
to a related question about what happens over time. Who gets burned out,
what happens when the novelty is gone, who loses interest because of the
ease of getting lost in an ocean of information, who will  drop out because
of the barriers of access we have all started to identify? Does anyone have
studies/ data on the long-term use of the Internet for folks with low
literacy levels after, let's say, an initial training course?

Best,

Andrew Pleasant