[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2838] Re: Comments on the Unweaving the Web

From: Andrew Pleasant (Andrew_Pleasant@Brown.edu)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 06:51:52 EDT

Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 06:51:52 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Andrew Pleasant <Andrew_Pleasant@Brown.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2838] Re: Comments on the Unweaving the Web

My response to Emily's question about usability inspections is that I view
what we did with the participants as a usability inspection. That
methodology was explained on page 311 of that study. However, in the longer
term,  I think as we continue to gather evidence about identified barriers,
we will be able to develop a more standardized approach/ assessment
framework. For example, from our discussion to date there seems to be a
general agreement that our finding on scrolling is valid and has occurred in
different contexts than ours. We can then, hopefully, develop knowledge
about what design elements do and do not work to overcome that barrier.

I am sure Chris will have her own thoughts on this, but I hope that as
findings come together from multiple studies, different researchers and
practitioners, and in different settings, we can then develop an approach
that identifies the presence of potential barriers. For myself, this
discussion is proving very valuable in that direction already.

However, even with some sort of a general inspection framework, I believe
that hands-on testing and development with the target audience must remain a
most important element in any usability inspection.

Best,

Andrew Pleasant