[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2825] Unweaving the Web: Introduction

From: Hacker, Emily (EHacker@fegs.org)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 10:31:23 EDT

Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 10:31:23 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Hacker, Emily" <EHacker@fegs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2825] Unweaving the Web: Introduction

Hello List:
In preparation for our discussion next week on "Unweaving the Web: An
Exploratory Study of Low-Literate Adults' Navigation Skills on the World
Wide Web," Christina Zarcadoolas e-mailed me the following introduction and
some questions to think about. We will get officially get started with the
discussion with Christina, Andrew and Mercedes on Monday. Please get ready
to jump in with your comments/questions/ideas so we can have a rich, active
dialogue.
Thanks,
--Emily

Hello all,
Thank you for taking an interest in our work and more importantly, in the
web and literacy.
Emily said it might be useful for me to post some questions related to web
based comprehension that we think about.  These questions certainly have
propelled our research.  We've only begun to answer our own questions.  I
have asked 2 co-authors, Andrew Pleasant, a communications expert ( Brown
and Cornel) and Mercedes Blanco ( Maximus Inc., a cultural competency
expert, to join the discussion.  I am a sociolinguist ( studies how people
use al forms of language - spoken, written, visual) to make meaning.  I've
spent the last 30 years working in literacy and health and environmental
issues.  With so many people online and going online it's clear we need to
know far more about the usability of this stuff.  N. Jakobson's wonderful
work ( useit.com) is ongoing and rich.  However there is very little
research getting published on how less literate people manage on the web nor
on how literacy and web reading interface. Here are some questions you might
want to keep in mind for our discussion next week. We look forward to your
questions and the dialogue.
* How are print and web based information similar?
* How are they different?
* What can web based info do that print material can't?
* What "principles" of readability may defy what we know about reading in
hard copy?
* What do we assume users can do when they're using our websites?
* What are common problems in websites?
* What characteristics of the web do "we" like - are these preferences
shared by low literate users?
* What are some principles of  written and spoken language at work on the
web?
* What are some technology fixes to the barriers that the web presents?
* Who should be on a web design team?
* What areas of future research and discussion are needed to identify how to
tailor web sites for comprehensibility?

Thanks,
Chris

Christina Zarcadoolas, PhD
Center for Environmental Studies
Director, Environmental Literacy Initiative
Box 1943
Brown University
Providence, RI 02912
(401) 863-7347
fax (401) 863-3503
email: caz@brown.edu

Emily Hacker
Moderator - NIFL Technology
Director, Learning Technologies
F.E.G.S
(212)366-8122
ehacker@fegs.org

Please List Your Job Openings with FEGS at (212)366-8039

If You Are interested in Making a Donation to FEGS to Help Us Continue To
Provide Essential Crisis Support Services, please contact Gail Magaliff, COO
at (212)366-8551 or send an e-email to gmagaliff@fegs.org

PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT www.fegs.org

The information contained in this email message is intended only
for use of the addressee(s) named above. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or
agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please immediately
notify us by tel (212-366-8400), and discard the original
message. Thank you for your cooperation.