[NIFL-ESL:9087] Context-based ESL Lessons

From: Jennifer Morrow (jmorrow@jcplin.org)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 14:48:43 EDT

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:48:43 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jennifer Morrow" <jmorrow@jcplin.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9087] Context-based ESL Lessons

Greetings to you all,
I am the assistant program coordinator for a one-on-one and small group ESL program.  Recently I have been trying to arm my volunteer tutors with activities for their ESL lessons.  I feel that I have found lots of good stuff like dictations, word puzzles, etc. but what I have realized is that a good context is missing from most of these activities.  My program strives to be embedded with EFF principles including teaching in a purposeful, transparent, contextual, and constructivist way.  However, I am having a problem finding good contextual activities or even ideas for modifying activities to make them contextual for our students.  Any suggestions about context-based lessons/activities would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Jennifer Morrow
Johnson County Public Library
Adult Learning Center