[NIFL-ESL:9391] RE: Message from the UK

From: John Kamplain (john_kamplain@albanyparkcommunitycenter.org)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 21:20:23 EDT

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 21:20:23 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "John Kamplain" <john_kamplain@albanyparkcommunitycenter.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9391] RE: Message from the UK

My two cents worth:

1. We require native born students to pass a constitution test in high
school in order to graduate. If they haven't in high school, they're usually
required in college to do so. Why is it a bad thing to ask the same of
people wanting to become citizens? I don't know if it should be required or
not, I can see the pros and cons on both sides.

A the same time, I'm not sure it's fascism to ask people to have a modicum
of knowledge about the country their living in. Our founding fathers would
have considered this insuring good citizenship. As teachers of English as a
Second Language we should be concerned that our students are being taught
civics. If you study the scholarship around EFF, you'll see that civic
awareness is a big issue. Is fascism to want people to be educated? If
they're to become citizens, they're going to have the option to vote. Isn't
it a good thing to help them learn what that means?

2. As for "English Only" offering you money: Take the money so long as they
don't put conditions on it and/or politicize the donation. If they do, send
it back. Everyone has some motive for donating money, as long as that
motivation doesn't interfere with the way you want to teach, then take it
and run.

3. Joe Little may have went about this discussion in a way that was
offensive to you, but something that he brought up (i.e. government funding)
bears some considerations and was lost in all the brouhaha. If you think
that government regulations for receiving govt. money is "fascist", then
don't take the money! It's interesting that we require the govt. to spend
tax dollars on multi-lingual documents, services, and programs, but ask
nothing in return on.

My great-grandparents severely scolded anyone in the family who spoke
Italian at home. They were in America now and if they wanted to make
something of themselves, they needed to start using English. They learned
English and how to interact using English in American society, but didn't
forget, ignore, or disavow our Italian heritage. But we were Americans. And
no, we didn't use that asinine hyphenated ***-American stuff either.

4. I think we should all take a step back and think about when we use the
word fascism. It's a pretty strong word, one that I don't think applies
here. The U.S. requires a citizenship test. That test is going to get a
little harder. The same govt. that requires passing of the test also
provides free educational assistance to pass that test. Does that really
sound like Nazi Germany? The govt. is asking people to have some idea of
what the hell we're all about and I don't think that's a bad thing. If you
want to be a productive member of this country, you should know this stuff.
If you want prospective citizens to take a proactive stance in how their
lives are run, then they should be learning this stuff anyway.

5.  I don't want to force people to learn English, but I don't want to force
Americans to pay for that option of ignorance, either. You don't want to
require people to have any knowledge of this country and/or its language
upon entry? Fine. You want to have an open border? Want to do away with
English requirements altogether? Great, I'm all for it. I say open the
borders tomorrow, don't force anything on anyone and let them come as they
are. But then don't force American taxpayers to pay to baby-sit them either.