[NIFL-ESL:9390] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Ken Taber (kentaber@inetgenesis.com)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 20:50:38 EDT

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 20:50:38 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ken Taber" <kentaber@inetgenesis.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9390] Re: Accept English Only donation?

Albert et al,
The Pew Hispanic Research identifies the problem that Adult ESL Programs
face in this country. It also confirms that it is actually easier to teach
the foreign-born K-12 student than it is the adult. These frustrations lead
us to ask the ultimate question. How do we solve the problem? In fact, the
same is true for the American in this country that does not get a good early
education. Nationally, 22% of Americans are considered functionally
illiterate. That figure remains about the same. We used to have an
educational system that supported the industrial age where teaching only 80%
was acceptable. Now that we have entered the information age and their are
less jobs in former industries, we must get near 100% literacy in this
country. And of those 22%, and in some cities, that figure is much higher,
only 5% of those needing adult education services actually receive them.

The only answer the government has in more accountability but the numbers
still have not changed. Even with a great title like the "No Child Left
Behind Act," we are losing the battle of adult literacy in this country. The
problem as was pointed out by some is adult literacy, and not just for the
foreign-born, but for all Americans. There are American-born US citizens who
speak English only that are illiterate. We have become experts at pointing
the finger. We have a lot of research. What we need are applicable
solutions.  We know the problems, they have not changed. Our current
solutions have not work.

I have made some observations that deal with what all teachers should be
doing. Teachers need high expectations for all their students. Teachers also
need to know the how best to teach the diversity of students in their
classroom. This requires staff development. Sometimes, it is simply the case
of real research bang applied to an old problem.

I actually had a principal from another school that told me that "Research
shows that English-Only programs (for LEP students) were better." This myth
has reached not only the some of the classrooms in my district but has
reached its administration as well. These principals were sold a bill of
goods from the English-Only Movement and are calling it research. The fact
is the federal law allows for almost any program that can show results.
However, it does not allow for an English Submersion Model, a sink or swim
approach or dead end approach.

There are some states that interpret the federal law to mean that they can
run an English-Only Approach with no staff development of their teachers.
When this principal made this comment, I asked whether this district had an
English-Only Approach? The coordinator (with no ESOL training) who I had
spoken to about the law said we have an Structured English Immersion
Approach which we didn't because this approach requires a highly trained
staff. We may have had a Structured English Immersion Approach on paper but
we had an English-Only or English Submersion Approach in reality.

The SC State House tried to write a bill (H3703) last year limiting LEP
instruction to only the first two years foreign-born students arrive in this
country and mandating a Sheltered English Immersion Approach. They claimed
in their bill that English could be learned fast. Sheltered English
Immersion is perhaps the least recommended approach but also the least
costly. The only good part of the bill was that the state actually realized
that it had a constitutional duty to teach these students. The bill never
made it out of the SC House but it was interesting to see how legislatures
don't understand the real problem or the legal history of LEP programs but
most of all they do not understand that English-Only laws may be a civil
rights violation in an educational setting.

Ken Taber
kentaber@inetgenesis.com