[NIFL-ESL:8958] Re: English immersion

From: Laurie Ketzenberg (lketzenberg@resolutionpictures.com)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 17:00:30 EDT

Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 17:00:30 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Laurie Ketzenberg <lketzenberg@resolutionpictures.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8958] Re: English immersion

Everything heavily depends on what the students' goals are.  If they're
foreign students preparing for college study in the U.S., you would want
them to become familiar with writing conventions and tackling academic
texts; if they're only here for 4 weeks after which time they're headed back
to their countries of origin, then more culturally-based themes are more
appropriate.  Either way, when dealing with young adults, the curriculum
really must pique their intellectual curiosities.  Using socially or
culturally relevant close-captioned films, biographical studies of
individuals (of their choice) from pop culture or history are also
appropriate.  Playing popular music that the students enjoy accompanied by
cloze activities with lyrics is useful for listening practice.  Creating
activities wherein students engage with native speakers on campus (if there
are any during the summer at your school) such as surveys, interviews is
always a good challenge and provides opportunity for authentic language use
with others (besides with you).  Oh yes, and use authentic materials
whenever possible!!