Research Menu

Re: grsecurity / LSM issue

From: Russell Coker <russell_at_coker.com.au>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:07:07 +1100

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 04:45, Bill McCarty <bmccarty@pt-net.net> wrote:
> <jtl2nospamMUNGIEjump@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Would it be possible to make a snapshot clone of the disk and make that
> > available to people experienced with forensics? I was thinking of the
> > honeypot/net project folks and the competition to analyse a rooted system
> > few years back.
>
> I'm the director of a Honeynet Alliance project and work with the Honeynet
> Project, having been the lead on Scan of the Month #27. If Russell wants to
> pursue the possibility of using his data as the basic for a Honeynet
> Project Forensic Challenge, I'd be happy to make the proper introductions.
> Seeing his SELinux machine as a honeypot might be pushing the envelope a
> bit; but doing so makes sense to me.

As I mentioned in a previous message, I am not convinced that there was a crack of the machine. It was claimed that stealth cracked it, but stealth denies having done that or anything remotely similar. It was claimed that the machine was cracked some months ago, if so the attacker would have had to maintain their root-kit past upgrades of SE Linux policy, kernel, and OS packages. It is possible that the machine was cracked and then the attacker left it without causing any harm.

I would be happy to give you a copy of the file system, if you are interested then please contact me off-list.