National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 380] Re: Math as a puzzle, or swimming

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Fri Jun 23 13:57:04 EDT 2006

The following post is from Bertha Mo.
Marie Cora

I attended some of San Francisco's best public schools and so I thought
I was to blame for my learning anxieties.

I really didn't understand the process and mechanics of writing until I
participated in the Bay Area Writer's Process while I was struggling
with my Ph.D. dissertation.

Here are some of the things I learned about writing and learning almost
anything:

1) Writing (learning) is a process

2) Remote writing, mind mapping, experimentation all help one to
relax...use colors or crayons to begin if that will relax you...

2) Writing need not be an isolating and lonely process...writing can be
and probably should be shared.

3) Finished, published products have been shared with many people
before reaching your eyes.

4) "Writing Prose" is the book that helped me crack a pretty serious
writing anxiety.

Bertie
Bertha Mo