[NIFL-FAMILY:1168] Re: Low Level High Interest Novels

From: Scott Ellis (teach49899@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 16:59:23 EDT

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 16:59:23 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Scott Ellis <teach49899@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1168] Re: Low Level High Interest Novels

I do think the books are helpful.  When I use them in
class, I don't have quizzes or tests, we are just
reading for enjoyment.
I also like to get copies of the book read on tape.  I
tell my students that I would like them to read along
with the tape.  It helps keep them focused on the
reading and won't let them get bogged down on harder
words.
You can use books that students would like to read to
their children.  Make sure that THEY are comfortable
with that, some students don't want to be seen or
heard struggling with such books.