[NIFL-FAMILY:1169] Re: Low Level High Interest Novels

From: Missm1775@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 18:55:30 EDT

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 18:55:30 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Missm1775@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:1169] Re: Low Level High Interest Novels

Hi Andrea,
  We use children's literature extensively and the primary reason that we use
for motivational purposes is that the parent eventually puts the story on
tape and sends the tape and story book home to his child (I am the ESL
coordinator of an incarcerated education program). This really aids literacy
development and teaches the conventions of print, narrative structure,
sequencing, etc. Our students are usually at the 3rd grade level in their
native language literacy development, so any activities that promote the
acquisition of L1 & L2 literacy skills are useful to them. For parents who
have no L1 or L2 literacy skills picture books are used, reading and
narrative structure is modeled extensively through shared reading and
dialogic reading activities, and the pre literate parent creates and 'reads'
a story to his child as well. This can be extended to non parent students by
having them donate their 'books on tape' to head start and other pre
school/hospital programs.
Best,
Margo DelliCarpini
E.S. BOCES Jail Education