National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1941] Re: Debunking Multiple intelligences

Wendy Quinones wbquinones at comcast.net
Mon Feb 11 09:57:20 EST 2008

Tom and all,

I am the developer and facilitator of the Multiple Intelligences and
Differentiated Instruction course under discussion here. I acknowledge Tom's
point about the dearth of empirical evidence about the efficacy of using MI.
But isn't that true of virtually everything in adult education? We are
starved for the very resources that would make such studies available; until
our government funds more adult literacy research, we can base very little
on empirical research.

With respect, Tom, I wonder if you aren't thinking a little too narrowly
about what the research actually tells us about multiple intelligences.
There has been a great deal of research done on MI, and a great deal
continues to be done. (Please note that I am not discussing learning styles,
nor are they addressed in my course. Confusion between these two concepts
is common.) For some past studies (Project SUMIT, Multiple Intelligences
Schools), as well as ongoing work in various aspects of MI, you can check
out the Project Zero website http://www.pz.harvard.edu/index.cfm at the
Harvard Graduate School of Education, where Howard Gardner developed his
theory of multiple intelligences. This began as a psychological theory
based on exhaustive study of neurological and brain research; it was we
educators who jumped on it for pedagogical purposes.

Granted, most MI research has been done with K-12 in mind, but that's true
of much of the research we use in adult education. I was, however,
privileged to be one of the teacher-researchers in the Adult Multiple
Intelligences study, which dealt exclusively with using MI in adult
classrooms, both ABE and ESOL. The project, which lasted for 3-4 years, was
a collaboration between Project Zero and the New England Literacy Resource
Center/World Education under the auspices of NCSALL, then located at the
Harvard Graduate School of Education. Much of the material we produced is
available on the web through NCSALL
http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.com/u/NCSALL?q=multiple+intelligences+and+adult+literacy&sa=NCSALL+Site+Search

including an issue of Focus On Basics devoted to the project:
http://www.ncsall.net/?id=161

You might also consider research that isn't even directed at MI, but which
points to precisely the intelligences that Gardner posits. For example,
research has shown repeatedly that what have been called multi-modal
approaches are virtually a necessity in reaching native-English speakers
with learning disabilities. The Wilson method uses tapping, which would
draw on both the bodily-kinesthetic and musical intelligences. Other
proven, research-based methods use writing in air, flour, or sand, which are
certainly bodily-kinesthetic activities.

The NIFL publication "Applying Research in Reading Instruction for Adults"
(http://www.nifl.gov/partnershipforreading/publications/adult.html )
advocates a number of research-based strategies that draw similarly on the
intelligences: activating prior knowledge (intrapersonal), cooperative and
group learning (interpersonal), think-alouds for comprehension (again,
intrapersonal), graphic organizers (spatial), and so on.

My course is intended to give teachers a solid grounding in MI theory so
that they can intentionally, systematically, and creatively use these
strategies and others that they may devise themselves, to improve practice.
Studies, my own included, have shown increased retention, engagement, and
learning gains attributable at least in part to the use of MI.