National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment] EFF and CASAS Assessment

Marilyn Gillespie marilyn.gillespie at sri.com
Thu Jan 12 10:01:13 EST 2006

Howard,

I thought your comments were very interesting and insightful. They make
another case for why teachers working in standards-based adult education
need plenty of time for program-embedded professional development.
Teachers need time to work as a team to analyze student work for
evidence of progress, particularly because of the lack of alignment of
instruction with assessment. Ideally, programs would be able to collect
and share these additional indicators of learner progress so that better
more aligned assessments can eventually be developed. Cris Smith and I
are working on a paper on the implications of K-12 professional
development research findings for adult educators. Your comments have
been useful in developing our discussions of the implications of
standards based teaching and learning for teacher professional
development in adult education, so thanks.

Marilyn

Marilyn Gillespie, Ed.D.
Educational Researcher
SRI International