National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment] EFF standards-based practice and accountability testing

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Thu Jan 12 13:08:22 EST 2006

The following post is from Peggy McGuire.

Hi everyone.

I've been doing a lot of thinking since collaborating with Regie on his
initial posts this week,and then reading the recent responses from
Linda, Meta and Howard (thanks, folks!). Feels like there's so much to
talk about, but given that this medium doesn't truly allow us to have
the deep conversations I'd love to be having with y'all (over
coffee/tea?), I'm going to put out just a few brief thoughts to add to
all the thoughtful offerings.

Meta, I have no doubt that it's possible to align teaching, learning and
instructional/classroom assessment around the EFF standards while still
being mandated to use an accountability assessment that is not aligned
to the standards. And as difficult and unsatisfactory as it often feels
to have to do this, many of the learners who engage with us in this
process are prospering -- they are pursuing lifelong learning that
focuses on their real needs and goals. The experiences you and Howard
relate, and my own several years' experience of working with wonderful
teachers and their students all over the country during the field
development of the EFF Assessment Framework and Read with Understanding
Assessment Prototype, strengthen my belief. I want to join in saying
well done for fighting the good fight!

And Howard, I want to say that I absolutely agree that "alignment" of
assessment, instruction and curriculum around what is relevant and
meaningful to learners is important. That's one reason why, after all
these years, I still feel pretty passionate about EFF -- because I
believe that the EFF standards, by the inclusive and iterative way they
were developed, really do represent what is relevant and meaningful to
learners, what they and many other key stakeholders in their success
told us was important to know and be able to do in order to meet their
goals in their primary adult roles. And it sure doesn't hurt that they
also have a solid research base in cognitive science! In my mind, then,
implementing the EFF standards in particular makes it possible to align
what gets taught, learned and assessed around what's really relevant and
meaningful to learners.

I applaud the efforts that you and Meta are making to document EFF
standards-based learning and to use tools like portfolios to engage
students in reflection on their own learning. Well done! But I also have
to admit to feeling a little sad at the thought that such evidence and
activities are only for learners, and not for reporting. I'm sad because
I want a world where true accountability to learners happens
system-wide, not just in the classroom. I want a world where the
"science and art" of good teachers is respected beyond their individual
classrooms or programs.

For these (among other) reasons, I think "which assessment" is
incredibly important. What gets reported as a result of the
accountability assessments we use is linked to what gets funded and
supported and acknowledged as important in the adult basic/literacy/ESOL
education world. And I want this system of ours to be fully focusing its
resources on what is really important to the adult learners we serve.
I'm convinced that won't happen as long as we live with the lack of
alignment between instruction (what gets taught and learned) and
accountability assessment (what gets measured, and therefore, what
actually counts as important when policy and dollars are at issue). What
feels especially frustrating is that I'm sure that we could achieve the
alignment if we were willing to commit the time and resources needed to
do so! I'll put my own professional bias (which of course I consider to
be well-reasoned and insightful!) right out here -- I think the EFF
standards and framework give us the tools we need to do the job.

I could go on and on... but enough for now. Thanks to Marie and to all
you contributors for giving me this opportunity to reflect on some
issues near to my heart. All the best!

Peggy McGuire, M.A.
Senior Research Associate and Equipped for the Future National
Consultant
Center for Literacy Studies
The University of Tennessee
111 5th Street, PO Box 16