[NIFL-ESL:9692] Re: TABE and Adult LAS for ESL

From: Ohanian, Michelle M (Michelle.Ohanian@fcps.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 09:50:29 EST

Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 09:50:29 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ohanian, Michelle M" <Michelle.Ohanian@fcps.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9692] Re: TABE and Adult LAS for ESL

Is there an assumption of what their real world is and can be?  If my
family were taught "what they needed" no one would have gone to college
but remained illiterate farm hands in upstate New York speaking
Lebanese.  We have moved beyond only basic survival language skills and
added on a cognitively challenging curriculum.

Elsa Auerbach has a great article "The Power of Writing, the Writing of
Power" (from Focus on Basics vol 3 issue D, Dec 99) on the approaches to
adult ESOL writing instruction.  It is an informative summary on the
approaches through the years with a great bibliography for further
reading.

Michelle Ohanian
ESOL MS and HS Instructional Support Teacher
Lacey Instructional Center
tel. 703-846-8775
fax 703-846-8604