[NIFL-ESL:9253] Re: idioms

From: HthKar@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 09:27:58 EDT

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:27:58 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: HthKar@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9253] Re: idioms

I have a knack of getting quotations wrong, especially classical ones involving obscure clerics, but I think that the rolling stone one came from the same pen (quill/) that wrote, for example,

God sends meat but the devil sends cooks (it should be cooking, yuk)

It is an ill wind turns none to good

For Christmas comes but once a year

a pig in a poke (???)

Some respite to husbands the weather may send, But housewives' affairs have never an end (interesting...)

My book of quotes says that a character called Thomas Tusser wrote it, and that it goes 'The stone that is rolling can gather no moss;/ For master and servant oft changing is loss (Jb. 'Housewifely Admonitions')

I await the email explaining that once again my quotation book is wrong.

Karen