[NIFL-ESL:9252] Re: NIFL-ESL digest 2233

From: Tom Zurinskas (truespel@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 06:21:04 EDT

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 06:21:04 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Tom Zurinskas" <truespel@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9252] Re: NIFL-ESL digest 2233

Interpreting idioms is a piece of cake.  One shouldn't be a shrinking violet
about it.  Speak your piece (peace?).  It'is either put up or shut up.  And
if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.  Take the idiom, "a
rolling stone gathers no moss."  That phrase is a true a piece of work.  Is
moss on a stone the cat's meow or a plague on both houses?  I'd prefer to
drop back and punt on this one, but I'll put my foot in the door and sally
forth with my own 2-cents worth.  I think we should just stick it.  That
phrase isn't worth a tinker's dam (damn?).  LIke teats on a boar, I'd say
this one's a real chicken's tooth.  Clear as mud.  We should just thumb our
noses at these paper tigers and put them in the biz bag.  After all, you
can't get blood from a turnip.  But then again, you go to your church and
I'll go to mine.  Have a nice day. ;)

>From: nifl-esl@nifl.gov
>To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
>Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9250] NIFL-ESL digest 2233
>Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 20:52:52 -0400 (EDT)
>
>			    NIFL-ESL Digest 2233
>
>Topics covered in this issue include:
>
>   1) idioms
>	by =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOWI2NiEhSH5ERTtSGyhK?= <applepie@minos.ocn.ne.jp>

>Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 19:55:27 +0900
>From: =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOWI2NiEhSH5ERTtSGyhK?= <applepie@minos.ocn.ne.jp>
>To: <nifl-esl@nifl.gov>
>Subject: idioms
>

>Dear all for responses to "Rolling stones" idiom.
>
>It was interesting to know that it can be interpreted either positively and
>negatively according to the context. In Japanese idioms, such flexible
>interpretations are rarely possible. There is almost always one correct
>answer.
>
>Mitsuko
>Japan

>End of NIFL-ESL Digest 2233

Convert English to truespel (USA accent) by copy/pasting at
http://www.foreignword.com/dictionary/truespel/transpel.htm

Truespel is the world’s first phonetic spelling based on English, using no
special symbols, showing syllabic stress, and proposed for all languages.
Also see truespel.com. Write tzurinskas@yahoo.com