[NIFL-ESL:9124] Re: Results from Context Question

From: Holly Gensaw (hgensaw@ncen.org)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 18:02:59 EDT

Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 18:02:59 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Holly Gensaw" <hgensaw@ncen.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9124] Re: Results from Context Question

My understanding of the difference between context and content is:
Educators often refer to the subject areas taught as content areas. For
example, math, history etc. are taught to L2 students in a class that is
more language accessible.
We use sheltered language to to teach in the content areas.
The context is the medium or the topic being taught. For example, teaching
students in context about economics may involve a field trip to the bank,
using realia such as fake checkbooks, balance sheets etc., to practice the
realistic skills needed (math, communication,) in a way that mirrors the
true experience of the intended goal (to familiarize students with the
language and math they will need in order to open and maintain a checking
account. )