[NIFL-FAMILY:3031] RE: Free Community Help Guide

From: StephaniaFeltz@cs.com
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 18:33:30 EDT

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:33:30 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@nifl.gov
From: StephaniaFeltz@cs.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:3031] RE: Free Community Help Guide

I am currently providing family literacy programs in two different sites in
my county.   One is  with ESOL students at an elementary school and the other
is in a minority housing project.  I am now starting to expand our program
with partnerships with the local YMCA(Even Start dollars), with a
neighborhood task force, and one with a local adult ESOl school.  All sites
are using the Kenan Model.

Now I am interested in starting a family literacy program with after-school
care (3:30-6:15) children.  But my problem lies in getting the parents
involved since they are at work during the time we would have access to the
children. We could possibly keep the children an additional 1 1/2 hours until
the parents arrive at school.  However, how do you entice these parents to
stay at school after a long day at work and during a time that is their
normal dinner hour.  I have considered serving lots of food, but are there
alternatives? Has anyone had success using another family literacy model
other than the Kenan model that worked?  If so, I would love for you to share
your ideas!!!!!
Thank you,
Stephania Feltz
Family Literacy Facilitator