Re: [NIFL-FAMILY:3031] RE: Free Community Help Guide

From: Camilla J Bunting (camibunting@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 15:29:40 EDT

To: nifl-family@nifl.gov
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:29:40 -0400
Subject: Re: [NIFL-FAMILY:3031] RE: Free Community Help Guide
From: Camilla J Bunting <camibunting@juno.com>

Re:  After-school family literacy program:

Those folks are tired and do have too much to do like you indicated.  Why
don't you work with the children during the afterschool hours, really
help them improve their reading skills, then give the parents a five to
ten minute overview when they arrive.  Retaining one pertinent fact a day
is not so hard, even for a tired brain.  Give them one assignment to help
their children at home before the next time.

We do not have that exact program set up, but we are looking at ways of
training people where they are, and when they are there.  Much more
efficient.

Hope this is a possible solution.

Cami Bunting
Family Literacy Coordinator