[NIFL-ESL:9454] "Borderlands" by Gloria Anzalua

From: Ken Taber (kentaber@inetgenesis.com)
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 20:20:48 EDT

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 20:20:48 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ken Taber" <kentaber@inetgenesis.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9454] "Borderlands" by Gloria Anzalua

"How to tame a wild tongue" is a critical essay of the book, "Borderlands"
by Gloria Anzaldua.
One of the more challenging books that we read in the class was
"Borderlands," by Gloria Anzaldúa. Her life experiences and the style in
which she wrote about her life inspired thought provoking discussions in
class. Here is a portion of a critical essay I wrote in response to a
chapter in her book titled How To Tame A Wild Tongue.

I will no longer be made to feel ashamed of existing.
I will have my voice: Indian, Spanish, white. I will have my
serpent's tongue-my woman's voice, my sexual
voice, my poets voice. I will overcome the tradition of silence."
Gloria Anzaldúa
By: Jinny Seidel
In her chapter, How To Tame a Wild Tongue, Gloria Anzaldúa shares with her
audience, personal life experiences and the cultural divides of a people who
have long been silenced. Through these experiences she has developed a
passion for sharing her identity and a strong desire to bridge the divide
that has existed both culturally and historically among the Chicano/Latino
race.As a woman of many identities, Anzaldúa has suffered oppression because
of who and what she represents in an American culture that is threatened by
anyone who does not bear the white man's skin. Through her writings she
attempts to create a new historical and cultural consciousness, enabling all
who are open minded and willing, to hear her voice.
It was not only from the white man's world that Anzaldúa faced some of her
greatest challenges, but from her own people as well. It seems she was
forced to live her life in a state of constant divide. As she tried to
conform to the white man's expectations she was called a "pocho," a cultural
traitor. She was accused of ruining the Spanish language when she spoke
English, and most Latinos accused her of mutilating Spanish as she spoke
Chicano Spanish.
How powerful her statement, "so if you want to really hurt me, talk badly
about my language." Anzaldúa likens her ethnic identity to her linguistic
identity-"I am my language." It is only through taking pride in her language
and her cultural background that she can be proud of herself. She takes
pride in the rhythms of Mexican music. She internalizes her identification
through other forms of images and emotions. The food of her homeland and the
smells tie her to her identity. "My mouth salivates at the thought of the
hot steaming tamales I would be eating if I were home," says Anzaldúa.
Through her imagery I can almost taste the fajitas barbecued by her brother
and smell the aroma of her mother spicing ground beef, pork and venison.
I would like to believe that because of the voices of Anzaldúa and others
like her the world of academia has been affected. Would it make her heart
sing to know that college students today are required to take three language
classes in order to graduate? Not to silence our native tongues but so that
we might attain one, we are encouraged to learn to speak the language
Anzaldúa herself was forced to relinquish. I'm am certain that as a result
of these powerful voices other doors are being opened which have been bolted
for so long.
Hers is a very powerful and persuasive testimony of what it is like to live
in a world of silence. It is through the passion and patience, inherited
from her Chicano identity, that Alzaldúa and her people are able to bridge
the Borderland divide. And although the struggles of the borders are still a
reality it is through her voice and the voices of others like hers that
these struggles will cease and true integration will take place.

Home Page