[NIFL-FOBASICS:160] Re:

From: Jeanette Baldridge (ginet_b@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 14:25:27 EDT

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:25:27 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jeanette Baldridge" <ginet_b@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:160] Re:

Hi,

I am an adult ed teacher and also teach writing for the University of Maine.

As and adult ed teacher, I use Wilson Reading for very low level readers
with great success. Recently, however, a comment was made by someone who
teaches Reading Recover that she did not think Wilson was a good program. I
am wondering what others think, especially in view of the fact that as a
college writing teacher, I have found that the majority of students who are
right out of high school, and who I assume have been taught with the whole
language theory, cannot spell, punctuate, or write a correct sentence.

I was unhappy with my own children's involvement with the whole language
technique. Teachers seemed to stress writing in quantity as opposed to using
correct grammar and punctuation.

Any clarification will be very helpful. I would like to understand the
philosophy behind both Reading Recover and the whole language system and how
they are related.

Jeanette Baldridge
Bethel Adult Ed
Bethel, Maine