[NIFL-FOBASICS:159] Adult Literacy Collections & Classification/Logistical concerns.

From: Brian Carpenter (BrianC@sjvc.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 11:19:19 EDT

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:19:19 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Brian Carpenter <BrianC@sjvc.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:159] Adult Literacy Collections & Classification/Logistical concerns.

Good morning.  I am doing a bit of research on the way libraries organize
their adult literacy collection, both in terms of classification, and
logistically.  I have found precious little information already published,
and suspect that the question of logistics plays a big part in the learner's
ease or discomfort with libraries in general.  Any information you could
give about your information would prove extremely helpful to my
organization, as well as others, I am certain!  The following are a few
questions to get you thinking along the lines of classification and
logistics:

Is your Adult  Literacy program separate from the rest of the book
collection, or incorporated into another collection (perhaps general, or
childrens)?

Does your library use any of the following schemes for the shelving of your
adult literacy program?
	DDC
	LC
	Alphabetized by author/title, etc.
	Reading Level
	General Subject Areas
	No classification
	Other (Please specify)

Is the collection located in an area that is accessible  and easily
recognizable to the learner

What special strains/advantages might your learners feel in relation to the
collection's
	Logistics
	Classification

What special strains/advantages might your staff feel in relation to the
collection's
	Logistics
	Classification

Thank you for your time in responding to these questions.

Brian Carpenter
Director of Libraries
San Joaquin Valley College
8400 W. Mineral King