[NIFL-FOBASICS:1330] Fear of Finishing

From: Cindy Ferguson (fergusonc@cravencc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 13:28:26 EST

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:28:26 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Cindy Ferguson" <fergusonc@cravencc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:1330] Fear of Finishing

Has anyone ever come across research involving basic skills students who seem to have a fear of finishing (getting their GED).  I have personally worked with many students who are very motivated to get their GED and come extremely close, maybe within one test of finishing, and then they disappear.  It seems as though many are afraid to finish.  Maybe they're afraid of what comes next - a job, college, just being out on their own.  Maybe they're afraid of succeeding - putting themselves above another family member, feeling they're not worthy of success?  I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this or read anything about it.  Also, are there any suggestions/strategies for getting beyond this fear?
Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Cindy Ferguson

www.cravencc.edu
Cindy Ferguson
ABE/GED Coordinator