Visit the US Department of Justice
National Institute of Corrections
Corrections Community
A place where all corrections professionals can interact and collaborate.
You are not signed in! To post comments and participate in discussions you need to sign in or create a free account.

Inmate Manipulation

This post has 72 Replies | 49 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 44

Hi Linda

I am also interested in your approach, and would, as others have indicated, appreciate receiving any training materials or resources you're able to share.

Thanks,

Amanda Bannister
A/Team Leader
Staff Development & Training Unit
Tasmania Prison Service (Australia)
amanda.bannister@justice.tas.gov.au 

Not Ranked
Level 1 MVP
Points 120
Here's a suggestion to anyone interested in "Inmate Manipulation".. Since inmates are criminals, I suggest that interested people read: Inside the Criminal Mind, Stanton E. Samenow. The thinking that underlies inmate manipulation is clearly explored in this book. It's an easy read, doesn't cost much and is essential for understanding inmate manipulation. Ttraining programs are only as good as the trainer's grasp of the subject matter. Abe
Top 200 Contributor
Level 2 MVP
Points 427
T Abner replied on Wed, Aug 3 2011 8:05 AM

frenchag-"Training programs are only as good as the trainer's grasp of the subject matter. Abe"

How true, How true. This is true for all training but even more when it comes to matters of the mind.

It is one thing to teach a student how inmates manipulate officers and other inmates for that matter, but

Having a student understand the mind behind the skill of manipulation is their only real defense.

MCO T. Abner, Audit Coord., Policy R&D, Emergecy Managment Coord., D.A.I., Red Cross Instructor, Stress Management, Conflict Resolution, Fire Safety Officer, Firearms Instructor, CERT Officer, F.T.O.,etc.

Not Ranked
Points 44

Thanks, I will take a look at the recommended.

Not Ranked
Points 5
ColDesi replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 9:18 AM

I have actually read that book myself, it has all the basics and is a good starting point.

Not Ranked
Level 1 MVP
Points 130

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the interest! I am working on pulling together some materials and some names of people I know who have used this approach. I hope to have a post ready with materials, links, and contacts by next week.

Linda

Not Ranked
Level 1 MVP
Points 130

Hello Rick,

Thanks for the interest! I am working on pulling together some materials and some names of people I know who have used this approach. I hope to have a post ready with materials, links, and contacts by next week.

Linda

Not Ranked
Level 1 MVP
Points 130

Hi Charlie,

I am going to gather together some materials and contacts and make a post next week. I will also send an email to anyone who has asked here.

Thanks for the interest,

Linda

lmcfarlane@justdetention.org

Not Ranked
Points 88
recragg replied on Fri, Aug 5 2011 3:00 PM

Thanks Linda.

I look forward to reviewing whatever you and others are willing to share.

Rick

Not Ranked
Points 5
djhgarvin replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 12:35 PM

I recently was in a training where the video on Inmate Manipulation from the Minnesota DOC was used and would really like to either download a copy or get a dvd...can you advise on how this might be possible?

Not Ranked
Points 5
rednells replied on Tue, Nov 15 2011 6:56 PM

Erin, my name is Teresa and I would like to have a copy of the article. my email address is rednells@gmail.com.

I look forward to hearing from you Teresa

Not Ranked
Points 44
gray4724 replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 11:59 PM

Hi: Mr Burrows, I am a professional development training for correctional department across the nation, I currently offering trainings in Motivational Interviewing, and PREA Prison Rape Elimination Act. I would appy to send you a information package and possibly speak with you about furture trainings.

Michael Gray

mindgrowers.vpweb.com 

Top 100 Contributor
Level 3 MVP
Points 528
Kila Jager replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 10:13 AM

Hi Michael,

I am a PREA coordinator and am interested in what you have in training.  I am also the facilitator for a National REsource PREA Workgroup and am interested in asking you to be a member.  We are states and agencies sharing resources in all things PREA to assist each other in becoming PREA compliant and more important making sure the offenders in our facilities are safe. 

Kila Jager

prea.coordinator@oya.state.or.us

Page 4 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS