Alert
Close

Last chance – give now. Before 2014 ends, help struggling seniors. Donate

Part-Time Jobs for Retirees

If you're retired but miss working, these 5 jobs offer decent pay, flexible hours

Part-time librarian Sue Walbert.

Sue Walbert continued to work part time as a librarian after she retired from her head librarian job. — Michael JN Bowles

En español | Whether you need the money or simply enjoy the camaraderie, working after retirement can be a smart decision. But continuing to work doesn't necessarily condemn you to the 9-to-5 grind.

A part-time job may fulfill your needs while leaving plenty of spare hours for friends, family, hobbies, travel or whatever else you like.

Take Sue Walbert. When she retired from her position as head librarian at Fauquier High School in Warrenton, Va., in 2009, she wasn't ready to quit working. "I was OK with the idea of retiring, but I didn't want to not work at all," she says. "And I definitely wanted to keep my earnings going."

Her solution: working part time at the library. Walbert arranged to clock in two days a week through a job-sharing arrangement with a colleague who also wanted to cut back on hours. The sweetener: She collected her pre-retirement hourly wage and was paid for sick and personal days.

"I liked being with the kids," says Walbert, who was 63 when she cut back her hours. "They laughed at my jokes. And it was fun learning how to do different things in the library that I didn't handle before, like online cataloging."

After a few years, Walbert was ready to really retire from that job. Now she works part time as a bookkeeper helping out with monthly billing for a horse boarding and training business, where she stables her own horse. "I've always been good with numbers, so I enjoy it," she says.

"What I did in 2013 and really enjoyed was to put a lot more time and effort into my stock portfolio. As it turned out, that was very profitable," she says. And in her spare time, Walbert is also slowly working on an associate's degree in business at a community college.

Whatever your motivation for working after retirement, here are five great part-time jobs to consider. Pay ranges, which vary based on experience and where you live, are derived from U.S. Department of Labor data and independent reporting.

1. Librarian Assistant/Aide

The nitty-gritty: Duties might include fielding questions, shelving books, helping patrons check out, tracking overdue material and sending notices, as well as cataloging and keeping an eye out for lost and damaged items.

The hours: Schedules vary widely. Big libraries, or those on university campuses, may keep the doors open 24 hours a day, while small local libraries might offer limited day and evening hours.

Pay range: Small libraries can be cash-strapped and rely on volunteers, but at colleges, large city locations and specialty niche libraries, pay can range from about $8.86 to $23.33 per hour. Those figures can ratchet up, depending on experience and where you live.

Qualifications: Experience working in libraries is desirable, as is an undergraduate or master's degree in library science. Larger libraries favor research skills using library resources, databases and other tools, along with the ability to get along with people. Some skills that will help: word processing, data entry and online searching, ability to keep accurate records, an understanding of library operations and general secretarial skills. Love of books is a given.

2. Bookkeeper

The nitty-gritty: In small businesses, bookkeepers handle a full range of financial records. You might take care of purchasing office supplies and processing payroll. Other duties can include establishing and maintaining inventory database systems, tracking accounts receivable and accounts payable, maintaining checking and savings accounts, producing financial reports, following up on delinquent accounts, and overseeing audits and reviews.

The hours: Vary by business. Frequently limited to one week mid-month and one at the end of the month for invoicing or bill-paying functions.

Annual pay range: $21,610 to more than $54,310, depending on advanced training and degrees and location.

Qualifications: A degree in accounting is desirable. Relevant experience or formal training in accounting or auditing services is a plus. Other key skills: data entry, being detail-oriented, and being adept with financial and related computer software. Handy with a calculator.

Next page: Growing medical industry boosts part-time employment. »

Topic Alerts

You can get weekly email alerts on the topics below. Just click “Follow.”

Manage Alerts

Processing

Please wait...

progress bar, please wait

Tell Us WhatYou Think

Please leave your comment below.

Rewards for Good

Your Points Balance:

Learn More

Earn points for completing free online activities designed to enrich your life.

Find more ways to earn points

Redeem your points to save on merchandise, travel, and more.

Find more ways to redeem points

Jobs You Might Like

Discounts & Benefits

From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.

UPS Store membership discount aarp benefits

Members save 15% on eligible products/services, 5% on UPS shipping at The UPS Store®.

membership adt

Small business owners save 20% on new installation of any new ADT security system.

Mujer en la parte de afuera de so negocio

Free quotes for members from the AARP® Small Business Insurance Program.

Member Benefits

Renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.

Advance your skills. Transform your career.

Explore your learning possibilities.