Skip navigation
38596 Views 96 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2012 7:21 PM by Revdeck RSS 1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next
Kygirl1984 User 42 posts since
Sep 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 29, 2011 6:16 PM

Losing weight to join the Army

My name is Erika and I'm 27 years old and I want to join the Army before I turn 30,  I've been trying to lose weight but I'm not losing anything.  I'm always hungry and don't seem to have any energy for working out.  Can anybody help me?  I need to lose about 80 pounds before I can join the Army.  Please if anybody has any tips that can help me please post them.

Thanks,

Erika

• MAOakley ArmySoldier 5,665 posts since
    Jun 9, 2009
    1. May 29, 2011 6:20 PM (in response to Kygirl1984)

5 small meals a day. It helps boost metabolism and keep your energy levels higher. They need to be small, well-balanced meals. None of this faddish BS. DO NOT minimalize your meals to 1 a day or something stupid like that. That makes your body store fats and sugars for future use.

Workout everyday...even if it is as simple as walking two miles with your iPod on. Keep increasing the intensity of your workouts, but mix it up to keep it interesting. When I am really working....if I take the time to watch TV, I bust out pushups and situps or other similar workouts during the commercials.

Water! Lots of water. It helps you feel more full, is good for the body and flushes the bad stuff out.

• necaxa10 User 46 posts since
    Apr 1, 2011
    3. May 29, 2011 6:53 PM (in response to Kygirl1984)

i agree with MAOakley,if you can find a partner to give you motivation is better and DON'T give up.

• MAOakley ArmySoldier 5,665 posts since
    Jun 9, 2009
    4. May 29, 2011 8:49 PM (in response to Kygirl1984)

Also....find a good and legit MMA gym, kickboxing or boxing gym. If you can do those workouts(especially if they have a conditioning class on top of the technique stuff) and then also find time to do some other stuff...you will be amazed how fast you drop weight. The trick is to find something fun that makes you wanna go. You want to feel completely spent at the end but so high on endorphins and happy that you met the challenge that you can't wait to come back. That is the real trick. If you do that AND maintain a solid diet...you will be amazed at what you do. You would also see a HUGE boost in your confidence because you are working hard and seeing results.

• User 1 posts since
    May 31, 2011
    5. May 31, 2011 10:57 AM (in response to Kygirl1984)

hey i know how you fell but im in the same boat but if you start to run and like everybody else say just eat small meals and try to work them out and if even if you dont feel its working, dont get disapointed and also dont check the scale to aften that can bring you donw so just run and yuo will feel the diference, and dont forget drink water

• User 6 posts since
    Jun 11, 2011
    6. Jun 11, 2011 1:43 PM (in response to Kygirl1984)

Hi Erika. My situation is about right on with yours. I just turned 27 in May and have always wanted to join the military but with good old family "support" it never happened. I need to lose about 80 lbs as well. I know we probably don't live anywhere near each other but I would like to buddy up so we can support each other. Let me know!

Jenn

• User 2 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    7. Jun 17, 2011 12:26 AM (in response to GardnerJ)
    Re: Losing weight to join the Army

how would the buddy system work, Jenn? I'm 27 too and have about 60lbs to lose.

• ArmySoldier 1 posts since
    Jun 17, 2011
    8. Jun 17, 2011 7:32 AM (in response to Kygirl1984)

I can tell you from personal experince that going to a martial arts school of some kind will melt the pounds off you.  I lost 40lbs in about 3 months while going to one.  You can also make a lot of supportive friends who are also knowleadge on working out and staying in shape through these schools.  A word of advice, shop around.  See if you can attend for free for a week or two and see if its a good fit for you.  If it is, join.  I did an am now enjoying the military lifestyle.

• User 6 posts since
    Jun 11, 2011
    9. Jun 17, 2011 1:35 PM (in response to kcarmelr)

Hi kcarmelr. A buddy system will make us accountable for each other via email, aim, yahoo, or whatever.  it will make me accountable for you and you accountable for me so we dont let each other fail so we can achieve our goal of joining the army.

• User 2 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011
    10. Jun 17, 2011 2:20 PM (in response to Kygirl1984)

I have a similar issue. im 5'11" and 218 lbs. going into my sophmore year and I have some weight to lose before i graduate. just try to eat smaller meals and do workouts that are less straining on your body for longer periods of time. I live in Wisconsin so i keep active by kayaking and swimming in my free time so try to find something you will look forward to doing. Ever find yourself watching tv try doing some matt workouts like crunches, planks or pushups through commercials. that's helping me quiet a bit. im losing 5 lbs a week doing minimally impassive exercises and just keeping myself busy

• christy24089 User 10 posts since
    Jun 17, 2011
    11. Jun 17, 2011 6:41 PM (in response to Kygirl1984)

I am in the same boat as well. I am 25 and weigh 190. I have been trying to lose enough weight for about 3 years now to join. It is something I have a strong passion to do and I havent given up but I am struggling.I weighed 137 when my husband and I met, then I gained 70+ pounds in 10 months, I lost alittle of it but cant get rid of the rest. I am also willing to do the buddy system with you guys. Even though we live in different states we can still stay in contact through facebook, email, etc and keep each other on track. I have tried everything from Sensa, Alli, going to the gym, even Insanity..

• User 9 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    12. Jun 18, 2011 3:37 PM (in response to Kygirl1984)

I am in the same kind of boat. I just turned 29 and want to lose this weight and sign up for the army before I turn 30. I need to lose 55lbs. I know from experience that eating smaller meals throughout the day and drinking lots of water was one of the best, healthiest and fastest ways of losing weight. I would love to buddy up to keep myself accountable. I really want to meet this goal!

• User 12 posts since
    Apr 3, 2011
  • User 9 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    14. Jun 21, 2011 5:24 PM (in response to tilt0916)

Thanks for this! Looks like a lot of good information!

1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...