Skip navigation
102 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2013 11:01 PM by Mindgame07 RSS
Mindgame07 User 1 posts since
Feb 12, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 12, 2013 11:01 PM

Becoming a 60W as a foreigner (EU-Citizen)

Dear readers,

i recently stumbled upon this discussion board, and i told myself that it surely couldn't hurt to drop some questions about my chosen dream-career in here

To start, first some information about me:

- 27-years old

- German citizen, currently living in Austria

- Currently studying Psychology at the University of Vienna (Austria)

As i want to shift from Psychology into the more "scientific" and medical field (no offense, just my opinion on the education you get in Austria) of Psychiatry, a career as a Military Psychiatrist for the US Armed Forces caught my eye. Always seeking to excel in my field and getting the very best and most comprehensive education i can get my hands on, i really fell in love with this career choice.

But as life is, i have a whole host of unanswered questions about this, even after reading tons of material. So lets have a look at my questions, shall we?:

- What would be the best and fastest possible path to become a 60W in the US Army, active duty preferred? Of course, there is this "issue" with us citizenship...

- If i manage to get to the US, maybe with a Student Visum, or a Green Card or who knows what, what is the best path to start studying Medicine from undergraduate to graduate to full-fledged Psychiatrist, always keeping a future Army Career in mind? In Germany, you can start studying a major immediately at a Bundeswehr University, but so far i have only found Army Universities which accept only graduate students. Do i HAVE to start studying Medicine undergraduate at a civilian University? If so, are there any recommendations for an 60W career?

- Does anyone have an idea what Visum or whatever to get to stay in the US (permanent, at best) and study Medicine?

- What are the main points to consider when choosing such a career path? Do i have to do Officer Candidate School? Or can i "skip" it with a Direct Commisson? I don't get this matter entirely.

Thanks to everyone who took his time to read my post to this point, and especially thanks to everyone who answers in advance.

If need to know more to answer my questions, just ask

Michael

P.S.: Nearly forgot to mention it, about this thing with the us citizenship: I am entirely clear about the point that you can only join the Army as an US citizen. But my point is: I want to study Medicine in the US and gain US citizenship while studying. As always, any comments on this matter are greatly appreciated!5

P.P.S.: **** it, sorry, didn't mean to mark this as "assumed answered"...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points