Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Depolyment Gear

Default Re: Depolyment Gear

So, one of our privates bought a grip load of useless tactical gear before we left the mob platform, screaming "wwe are gonna get into firefights, gonna be running missions, blah blahblah blah.." Yea, ok, guess what he is doin? Nothing much in relation to our MOS. If anything, just get some gloves and eye pro. I bought a pair of oakley m frame's and some of their gloves. best by I've made this deployment so far (along with a converter)
    OIF Vet - OIF I, OIF 09-10
    A co 1/141 Inf "Remember the Alamo"

Any ideas as to how long it could take to get my inital issue of TA-50 at my unit? Some people I've talked to have said that it took months for them...
    CDT/E-5 M. 68W Combat Medic/09R SMP Cadet
    HHB 3/133 Field Artillery
    TX ARNG

It depends on your unit's supply. I got all of my stuff during my first drill, some new soldiers have had to wait 3-4+ drills (which turns into 3-4 months).
    NVARNG - 31B

As far as my TA-50, it took me a few months because I didn't need it for drill. And when came the drill where I did need it, we were on the base that had a CIF and I picked it up there.

As far as deployment gear and MOS...well they're sending a small group of us to another unit and state to deploy with their unit. I won't even be doing my MOS and I'm slotted in a different MOS altogether for this other unit. We got fitted for some of the gear we'll be getting and I've already learned to go get good tactical gloves. I've replaced my eyepro with Oakley M-frames because my unit issued me something that looks like you pick up at the gas station for a quick pair of sunglasses (minus the neon colors). And my boots are probably the best purchase I've made thus far. Love my Blackhawks. It's like wearing sneakers.
    What's really good though, is our group has voiced concerns to our Supply NCO about gear we'll be issued at MOB. So they're sending the NCO down to the unit with with us...and a government credit card...to purchase anything we don't get issued and "need". I'm wondering if some of our wants can turn into needs. Heh...
    Sergeant
    MNARNG

OEF Vet

I have a pair of Blackhawks as well, I love them. I'm still trying to solve the eye-pro problem with prescription inserts always getting scratched and fogged up on me, not to mention seeing as though you're looking through a fishbowl.
    CDT/E-5 M. 68W Combat Medic/09R SMP Cadet
    HHB 3/133 Field Artillery
    TX ARNG

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
    Any ideas as to how long it could take to get my inital issue of TA-50 at my unit? Some people I've talked to have said that it took months for them...

It can honestly take months (a couple drills). Depending on how screwed up your CIF is in your state, it can even get lost. Your Supply Sergeant could also pick it up and issue it out to anotehr person or just not even tell you it came in (stupid on his part, because he would still be signed for it)
    "I repeat the question is not about my army values or anything but legal matters."

- Should never have been said.

Quote Originally Posted by Teuvil View Post
    It can honestly take months (a couple drills). Depending on how screwed up your CIF is in your state, it can even get lost. Your Supply Sergeant could also pick it up and issue it out to anotehr person or just not even tell you it came in (stupid on his part, because he would still be signed for it)
    Could be worse, you could have to buy it... like us Officers >:-I lololol. Don't worry. They will square you away
    1LT Orsini
    XO, 250th F Co, NJARNG
    Email Me for assistance!

Frankly, the gear we get isn't junk. We are the best equiped Army the world has seen. I can see arguing the merits of 5.56 versus 7.62 or whatever, but the idea that when we deploy we are given junk is just silly. That being said, there are investments worthy of making. I like sneaker boots, so I would try some out. If you don't get new Oakley sunglasses, fine. But, I would make the move to upgrade lenses. Gloves: I like carbon knuckles, so I get aftermarket tac gloves.
    One other consideration, your unit (read CSM) may not let you wear your awesome but wrong colored, expensive kit. I have seen geardos get shot down more than once when they show up in a non uniform item. Be advised.

Good Post Travis, it makes sense because its true