Thread: JPAS security clearance verification

Hybrid View

Default JPAS security clearance verification

I'm attending BCT/FOCS in the Fall and am working on completing the NG Officer Accession packet before I ship. I need to provide a copy of my JPAS clearance to my state; I was told that I can request that from someone in my unit, but the problem is, I don't have a unit yet. Who could access this for me---RSP? Recruiter?

Also, would my clearance even be adjudicated yet? (I enlisted in early May and ship early Sep)

Thanks!

Default Re: JPAS security clearance verification

If you haven't even been to BCT yet chances that your clearance is done is probably slim to none. A notifcation memo or some proof that it was started should be enough. In any event, your state J2 can access JPAS for you. Have your RSP NCO help you with this.
    Staff Sergeant
    11B, 11C, 79T, 27D
    OEF 2002,Operation Anaconda
    OIF Invasion & 2009
    Rakkasan!!

Secret can take a few months depending on the backlog. If you are going to FOCS, by time you get there, you can get the documents you need there.
    Chief Warrant Officer, US Army
    Former Marine & Guardsman
    OIF IV, OEF X & XIII "BASTOGNE!"

The agency does a quick check (i.e., what an civilian employer would do to screen employees), and if they have no reason for concern, your State can grant you an interim clearance until the full investigation finishes.

Your Readiness NCO can get a statement from the State Security Manager regarding your clearance status. They're not supposed to give out the actual JPAS statement printouts.
    MATTHEW A. RITCHIE
    Lieutenant Colonel, Virginia ARNG

Don't post until you've read http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/35-Frequently-Asked-Questions

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
    They're not supposed to give out the actual JPAS statement printouts.
    This is correct. I took a JPAS class at Ft. Bliss last fall. They preached that we are not allowed to hand out the JPAS printout.

Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    This is correct. I took a JPAS class at Ft. Bliss last fall. They preached that we are not allowed to hand out the JPAS printout.
    What is the regulation on that? And since it is a DOD system the reg is in a DOD manual.

I received my "JCAVS" person summary report recently from an S-2 rep. And many times when requesting and creating a high-side account; that report needed to be accompanied with their access request. Now I know that it has PII on the report and many times I was simply given a memo from a person that accessed the system that showed my clearance or a form just required the S-2 rep signature that verified the proper clearance. But I guess it is one of those things that is either "not known" or "not enforced" in various sections.

Either way to the OP, just get the memo that is typed up when that lists your clearance. Should be simple. I have done it dozen of times on active duty installations and within my own G-2/S-2.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
    The agency does a quick check (i.e., what an civilian employer would do to screen employees), and if they have no reason for concern, your State can grant you an interim clearance until the full investigation finishes.

Your Readiness NCO can get a statement from the State Security Manager regarding your clearance status. They're not supposed to give out the actual JPAS statement printouts.
    Sorry for the naivety Sir...when you say Readiness NCO, does that mean my RSP SGT?

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. The info going around (and yes, in classes) that they're not supposed to give you a copy of your own print out is unsubstantiated. There's no policy in place saying that, it's more of a "best practice" without a foundation or valid reason. There's nothing on a jpas print out that the person doesnt already know (or should know).

It has your UIC, basic demographic info, and clearance level. There's no written policy or guidance on this from DoD that I've received. Similar to the rumor that you cant look up your own info if you have a JPAS account. I've had to do that several times to help my G2 fix errors. I was encouraged to check it periodically. The biggest reason I've found that people say you cant give print outs is because the second you start handing them out, everyone wants a copy of what they dont need and does nothing for them
    2LT, IN
    NJARNG

Quote Originally Posted by show_stopper999 View Post
    I'm going to play devil's advocate here. The info going around (and yes, in classes) that they're not supposed to give you a copy of your own print out is unsubstantiated. There's no policy in place saying that, it's more of a "best practice" without a foundation or valid reason. There's nothing on a jpas print out that the person doesnt already know (or should know).

It has your UIC, basic demographic info, and clearance level. There's no written policy or guidance on this from DoD that I've received. Similar to the rumor that you cant look up your own info if you have a JPAS account. I've had to do that several times to help my G2 fix errors. I was encouraged to check it periodically. The biggest reason I've found that people say you cant give print outs is because the second you start handing them out, everyone wants a copy of what they dont need and does nothing for them
    Excellent response. After I read this link yesterday; I felt I was wrong.

https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/psawebdocs/...AS_Account.pdf

Wow, that's the first I've read of that. Again, I'd be interested to know the basis for it, but getting print outs happens more than it doesnt. I think this is more a default policy just based on the culture of the MI field. Keep everything a secret even if its not necessary.

I can name one Command on the East coast that I left, not long ago, that provides all soldiers and civilians a printout and their security folder (assuming there's no derog information) upon out processing
    2LT, IN
    NJARNG

If you are still in the RSP then pretty much yes. When we say Readiness NCO we are reffering to the Full Time Soldiers, usually a SFC who is in charge of keeping the unit running when everyone is not there for drills. If you are not assigned to a unit yet, then your RSP NCO would be the equivalent.
    Staff Sergeant
    11B, 11C, 79T, 27D
    OEF 2002,Operation Anaconda
    OIF Invasion & 2009
    Rakkasan!!