Thread: Request for Advice Regarding BAH

Default Request for Advice Regarding BAH

Greetings,

Though I am a newcomer and this is my first post, I assure that I have thoroughly read and searched previous posts regarding BAH.

As a recent, unmarried 22 year old graduate that has struggled to find meaningful work, I have decided to join the Illinois National Guard (signed my contract as of 10/06/2010). I have chosen the OCS path with the intentions of specializing in Military Police.

My question now is this: I currently reside with my parents and was not planning on applying for BAH, as I have neither a signed lease nor any dependents. However, my recruiter has informed me that many unmarried recruits with no dependents manage to secure BAH during basic and AIT through otherwise over-exaggerated claims.

I reside in the Chicagoland area and have been seriously considering getting an apartment of my own in a step towards independent and self supported living. I do not wish to merely claim that I pay rent to my parents (I barely do; student loans are not fun); I believe that to be a false representation and a dishonest claim.

What is the probability that I will successfully secure BAH if I obtain an apartment this month? I will have my lease notarized and will provide utility bills if they are not covered by my lease. I will report to MEPS next week (10/14/2010) for my physical screening and to take my ASVAB, though I have not yet been made aware of when I will attend basic; I wish to go as soon as possible (preferably not January).

Thank you for your time and advice regarding another BAH question.

Default Re: Request for Advice Regarding BAH

According to the regs, you must have your lease for at least 6 months before you start training. If you want to get an Apt, get an APT, but dont do it simply because you want to get BAH.
    VANG:1997- Current
    13B, 42A, 79T
    RSP NCO: Jan 07-Apr 12
    Operation Noble Eagle
    OIF III

Quote Originally Posted by RSP NCO View Post
    According to the regs, you must have your lease for at least 6 months before you start training.
    Is this new or has it always been the case?
    RI ARNG * 31B * 1/2009 - Present
    OEF Veteran (JTF-GTMO)

What does it matter? Someone could sign off on a place they never step fot in the week before they ship so they can rake in extra money from the army.
    Former 11B/11C OEF Veteran
    IA and NJ Guard 2001-2009
    Check out my 104th PA LRS Video here

According to the regs, you must have your lease for at least 6 months before you start training. If you want to get an Apt, get an APT, but dont do it simply because you want to get BAH.
    I read on a previous thread that the six month rule wasn't enforced by all training posts (seems to be a trend in wavering diligence by the army). For me, getting an apartment would be an added bonus; even if I wasn't getting BAH, I am still keen on living on my own. I love my parents, I simply do not quite love living with them. For me, I would use the leftover BAH money to pay for my student loans, as I will procure no loan repayment because of my candidate status.
    “An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass” - George Washington

Your recruitier needs to talk to you about that, sounds like you shouldnt be going OCS right away if you have student loans
    SSG Andrew Tischner
    NJARNG Recruiter
    OIF III
    NGB Director's 54 FY11
    andrew.tischner@us.army.mil

Quote Originally Posted by chd View Post
    Is this new or has it always been the case?
    Always been the case, just not always been enforced as much as it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLord View Post
    What does it matter? Someone could sign off on a place they never step fot in the week before they ship so they can rake in extra money from the army.
    Like I said, they could be in for heartbreak when they get down range and are told they wont get BAH because their lease is too new.

Quote Originally Posted by JRMang View Post
    I read on a previous thread that the six month rule wasn't enforced by all training posts (seems to be a trend in wavering diligence by the army). For me, getting an apartment would be an added bonus; even if I wasn't getting BAH, I am still keen on living on my own. I love my parents, I simply do not quite love living with them. For me, I would use the leftover BAH money to pay for my student loans, as I will procure no loan repayment because of my candidate status.
    Ahh....indeed you did use the search function before . Yes, its not always enforced, but it is being enforced more now then it has been in the past. It's up to you if you want to risk having an apt payment and no BAH to cover it. Might get it, might not.
    13B, 42A, 79T
    Operation Noble Eagle
    OIF III

Like I said, they could be in for heartbreak when they get down range and are told they wont get BAH because their lease is too new.
    My comment was meant for him, not you. My bad on the lack of quoting.
    Former 11B/11C OEF Veteran
    IA and NJ Guard 2001-2009
    Check out my 104th PA LRS Video here

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.tischner View Post
    Your recruitier needs to talk to you about that, sounds like you shouldnt be going OCS right away if you have student loans
    I had considered going enlisted MP OSUT at Ft. Leonard Wood to qualify for SLRP, but decided that I would not be satisfied with remaining enlisted for any lengthy period of time. My long term goal is to acquire a law enforcement position within Illinois, and OCS will help train me physically and mentally while somewhat distinguishing myself further from most other applicants. Everything that I manage to save up during my training will go towards 1) student loans 2) saving up for housing.

BAH alloted for the Chicagoland is $1200 for single w/o dependents. I am not picky and could comfortably live in a $600/month studio until I obtain professional employment. My recruiter strongly suggested that I apply for BAH, I'm leaning towards it rather than not...though I do thank you for making me aware of the increased scrutiny (as it should be...)
    Last edited by JRMang; October 8th, 2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: grammatical error
    “An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass” - George Washington

BAH alloted for the Chicagoland is $1200 for single w/o dependents. I am not picky and could comfortably live in a $600/month studio until I obtain professional employment. My recruiter strongly suggested that I apply for BAH, I'm leaning towards it rather than not...though I do thank you for making me aware of the increased scrutiny (as it should be...)
    I understand your recruiter wanting you to get all you can, but BAH is not some "extra" money that people should apply for. People used to not be able to get it for Basic Training, but they finally started allowing it to offset the expense of housing that people already had. It is not just so people can get extra money out of the government.
    13B, 42A, 79T
    Operation Noble Eagle
    OIF III

yeah, if you want money, instead of doing the BAH dance, why not go for an MOS with a nice long AIT? pick one where you can be gone 6 months or more,(you're a college graduate, correct, so you're starting as an E-4?); man if you go active for 6 months, and then they will pay you for your accumulated leave at the end, that leave will be another half a month of salary, you could save 6k pretty easily, and I'm just estimating saving 1k a month.

Then you could apply for OCS whenever, down the road, go accelerated, that's another 10+ weeks of AD, more money. and you'll feel good about the way you earned it, not the sliminess you're describing now, and for what, $600 a month to feel that way?

I had considered going enlisted MP OSUT at Ft. Leonard Wood to qualify for SLRP, but decided that I would not be satisfied with remaining enlisted for any lengthy period of time. My long term goal is to acquire a law enforcement position within Illinois, and OCS will help train me physically and mentally while somewhat distinguishing myself further from most other applicants. Everything that I manage to save up during my training will go towards 1) student loans 2) saving up for housing.
    You're going to sign your life over for a significant period of time, so get everything that you can within legal and moral limits. BAH is the only thing that makes a military paycheck tolerable.

If you have student loans, you'd be a monkey's uncle not to pursue SLRP. Yeah, being an intelligent, ambitious junior enlisted soldier stinks, but you only have to deal with a few drills before you begin OCS, not an entire deployment or for an extended period of time.

31B OSUT is a lot of fun and challenging training. If you're looking for a physical and mental training, you'll likely get it better through BCT and AIT than two two-week periods and a year of once-monthly drills in OCS (though I haven't done the latter).

If you think MP training will improve your ability to find civilian employment, it'll be two years before you finish MP OBC after Traditional OCS. If you enlist, you'll have your 20 weeks of OSUT and a short wait for the OCS class that starts in March/April 2012, maybe giving you the best of all worlds. There are a million ways to do it, but given your situation, revisit the idea of enlisting first as it probably suits your immediate needs better without ignoring your long-term ones.
    RI ARNG * 31B * 1/2009 - Present
    OEF Veteran (JTF-GTMO)

Quote Originally Posted by chd View Post
    If you think MP training will improve your ability to find civilian employment, it'll be two years before you finish MP OBC after Traditional OCS. If you enlist, you'll have your 20 weeks of OSUT and a short wait for the OCS class that starts in March/April 2012, maybe giving you the best of all worlds. There are a million ways to do it, but given your situation, revisit the idea of enlisting first as it probably suits your immediate needs better without ignoring your long-term ones.
    Thank you for your advice. I have also read the Service as an Officer threads on this forum and also registered with www.armyocs.org It appears that traditional OCS was the most cumbersome route to becoming an officer; many soldiers preferred to "knock it out in one try". I knew that I would forfeit SLRP by choosing the officer route, my rationale was that since the average entry level civilian Law Enforcement Officer salary in the Chicagoland area is a little less than double an Active Duty 2LT salary, I could pay off the remainder of my student loans in the next year and a half. I do not need much to be happy, and having saved money by being an RA during college and also having a side job, I don't have an incredible burden left. In hindsight however, I do wish I entered ROTC, after completing three years of JROTC in HS. (When I graduated HS, the economy was not in shambles).

That stated, I have been burning through my savings but bills will continue to accrue. I have signed my contract, though I have not yet been processed at MEPS. Simply to explore my options, I will contact my recruiter to see if it is possible to enlist and then apply for OCS; I read in another OCS thread that one individual entered BCT and AIT to acquire SLRP, and applied for OCS the year after. If I did not have a girlfriend, I would gladly embark upon that route. My lady is supportive of my endeavors, however, she lets me know that she isn't interested in becoming a military wife/waiting girlfriend for an extended period of time (we have discussed deployment).

I would gladly embark upon the BCT-AIT-OCS route, but I desire responsibility, active decision making, and have a healthy ambition. I would be satisfied with NCO responsibilities but would not be happy with an E-4 pay grade (I do feel sorry for Corporals). As promotion to E-5 would take at least a year minimum (that would be a rarity), I reasoned that my best option would be OCS.

Though I am almost completely certain of this, I would appreciate some added verification:

1) After completing AIT, I would be required to remain enlisted for one year minimum to retain my SLRP and then qualify for OCS

2) After completing OCS, I would then sign a new contract

I would not enlist just for SLRP. As a LT you make $200 more a month just in drill pay. This doesn't count OBC, AT and other schools.

You really need to talk to a recruiter and see how OCS works in your state. Accelerated (which is 8 weeks not 10) is not always an option but does start every spring.

Don't count on MP being as a great for LE training. I can say as an MP, most **** at LE.

I don't get it. Why doesn't he just enlist, get all of the perks(SLRP), stay enlisted long enough to get a couple of SLRP years, and then go OCS? If he did that his SLRP wouldn't end until he commissioned, correct, so that would give him 18 months longer to get SLRP, if he timed it right he could serve 2 years enlisted then go to OCS for 18 months and get two more years from SLRP, and then become an officer.

I think you can do both, if you have the patience and the vision to see the big picture.

Of course this assumes he's in his 20s, which I think he is.

somebody needs to put the math out there for him also, I'm guessing the SLRP is a max of 40k or something. Assume the guy has 20k in loans, he gets 3k a year repaid, correct?(15% per year)

Well that alone is more than your $200 bucks a month.
    Last edited by 49thadband; October 12th, 2010 at 06:38 AM.

bump, I haven't actually seen the math on the SLRP, do they still pay 15% per year, and is my example correct? (20k in loans, 3k a year repaid, because it's 15% per year).

This is the real question for him, imo, how long it actually takes the gov't to pay his student loans, and when do they actually pay them. I'm guessing it's the anniversary of his ship date, but they might wait until he completes his AIT.