Thread: going from reserves to NG

Default going from reserves to NG

I just was accepted into the army reserves. I was trying for active duty so I could compete and try to get into a combat position. The reserves don't offer combat positions so can I transfer over to NG before I sign up with the army or do I have to go through a whole other process to get with the NG. Please forgive my ignorance if I am exhibiting any here, I did not know I could even be put in the reserves when I started this process and I have less than a week to make a decision. I have had little time to research. Thanks for any help!

Default Re: going from reserves to NG

Quote Originally Posted by surfratvt View Post
    I just was accepted into the army reserves. I was trying for active duty so I could compete and try to get into a combat position. The reserves don't offer combat positions so can I transfer over to NG before I sign up with the army or do I have to go through a whole other process to get with the NG. Please forgive my ignorance if I am exhibiting any here, I did not know I could even be put in the reserves when I started this process and I have less than a week to make a decision. I have had little time to research. Thanks for any help!
    Answer these questions and we can be more helpful...

Have you actually went to MEPS and signed Army Reserve Contract?

What is the reason they denied you Active Duty?

When you say combat position, what are you really after? If you could have any Army job, what would it be?

What were your ASVAB scores?

Do you have any moral conduct issues (were you arrested)?

Age and Education level?
    Staff Sergeant
    11B, 11C, 79T, 27D
    OEF 2002,Operation Anaconda
    OIF Invasion & 2009
    Rakkasan!!

I have not been to MEPS yet, I go Thursday. I don't know the reason I was denied active duty. I want to be an Infantry Officer. My ASVAB is 98, I have never been arrested. I just turned 27 and I have a Bachelors in Business Management.

????????????????? Denied active duty? Can you elaborate on that please? Why did you go from an active recruiter to a reserve one?

You will have to enlist as a 09S - officer candidate and that is another process. Also, there is no guarantee that you will branch infantry as an officer candidate. You want a guarantee in a certain MOS; then enlisted is the route to go.
    Chief Warrant Officer, US Army
    Former Marine & Guardsman
    OIF IV, OEF X & XIII "BASTOGNE!"

I infer from the question and the forum that the OP is an ROTC cadet who just got his branch and component assignment, and not an enlistee. My answer revolves around this presumption, and will thus have little value if I've guessed wrong.

You can change your USAR assignment to a National Guard assignment, but you must move quickly and decisively. Contact the OSM of your future state of residence, and ask for an acceptance letter with a specific unit, with a specific paragraph and line number. Since the combat arms branches have the most lieutenant slots, you're aiming at a big target (which is good). Before you make the call, consider realistically your branch preferences, and how far you're willing to drive. I would recommend no more than three hours each way, but that's your call. At the same time, keep your ROTC chain of command informed as to your progress. The OSM will have some requirements for you to complete, none of which are particularly difficult. It gets very difficult, however, if you don't cooperate.

Remember, this is your life, and no one will take it any more seriously than you do.
    MATTHEW A. RITCHIE
    Lieutenant Colonel, Virginia ARNG

Don't post until you've read https://webarchive.library.unt.edu/web/20121021010754/http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/35-Frequently-Asked-Questions