Thread: Prior Service Graybeard Looking to enlist SF National Guard

Hybrid View

Default Prior Service Graybeard Looking to enlist SF National Guard

Here's my situation; maybe someone can give me some insight on some questions that I have? And hopefully "SF Hunter" can provide some insight, he seems to be the man on point with this sort of stuff. I'll try my best to make this as short as possible.

So, I'm prior service with 5yrs active service, 82nd Airborne 14M Stinger Missile Team Chief, Airborne/Air Assault Qualified. I've been out for 18 years now and 42 years old, excellent physical condition, as fit as I was back in my Airborne days. No wife, no kids, no major financial baggage. Just a hot young gf and a couple dogs.

I've spent a large portion of my civilian life as an Computer Tech/Network Operations Manager for Tech Start-ups and accumulated a great deal of professional experience with no degree or IT Certifications. However, that was in the 90's and early '00's.

Then the IT crash happened and I've spent the greater part of the last decade trying to re-invent myself by getting a college degree and some professional certifications, CCNA, Net+, Security+, etc. while working contract jobs in IT for Harvard, MIT, and Boston College. So now, I'm a year out from graduating from Boston College with a BA in Political Science, International Affairs.

And I'm looking at a lot of the opportunities that are out there, many that are with the Federal Gov, I have Vet Pref as well, but I'm staring directly at the prospect of becoming a fat-pogue in a cubicle farm for the remainder of my life, which absolutely does not excite me. And I'm really interested in going back into the Army National Guard, particularly an SF Guard unit. So, my question is this; based on my background, education, professional skill-set, and physical fitness level. Could I gain entry into a SF Guard unit at my age? Could I be considered for a slot to attend SFAS to see if I can make the cut for the Q-Course? And if that isn't at all an option because of my age, are there any support positions in IT at SF Guard units that I could fill, that would allow me to join the unit?

Default Re: Prior Service Graybeard Looking to enlist SF National Guard

I can't answer your question but I want to say; Welcome to the Forums, thanks for your service, and I hope it works out for you. Your dedication can and will inspire many.
    "I repeat the question is not about my army values or anything but legal matters."

- Should never have been said.

SF Hunter posted the basic requirements on here a short while ago:

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...s-Requirements

According to what he posted, and what information you've provided the "possibility" appears viable. Hopefully he will see this post sometime soon and chime in. I believe the 20th Group has a unit in Springfield.

Welcome from a guy who came on active duty that was a little bit younger than you at the time and is now way older than you and has the same certs .

I know your options are limited now based on the upcoming drawdown but if you can pass your MEPS physical and feel you have what it takes to attend SFAS; then go for it. Speak to your nearest Army National Guard recruiter.
    Chief Warrant Officer, US Army
    Former Marine & Guardsman
    OIF IV, OEF X & XIII "BASTOGNE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Randal82abn View Post
    Here's my situation; maybe someone can give me some insight on some questions that I have? And hopefully "SF Hunter" can provide some insight, he seems to be the man on point with this sort of stuff. I'll try my best to make this as short as possible.

So, I'm prior service with 5yrs active service, 82nd Airborne 14M Stinger Missile Team Chief, Airborne/Air Assault Qualified. I've been out for 18 years now and 42 years old, excellent physical condition, as fit as I was back in my Airborne days. No wife, no kids, no major financial baggage. Just a hot young gf and a couple dogs.

I've spent a large portion of my civilian life as an Computer Tech/Network Operations Manager for Tech Start-ups and accumulated a great deal of professional experience with no degree or IT Certifications. However, that was in the 90's and early '00's.

Then the IT crash happened and I've spent the greater part of the last decade trying to re-invent myself by getting a college degree and some professional certifications, CCNA, Net+, Security+, etc. while working contract jobs in IT for Harvard, MIT, and Boston College. So now, I'm a year out from graduating from Boston College with a BA in Political Science, International Affairs.

And I'm looking at a lot of the opportunities that are out there, many that are with the Federal Gov, I have Vet Pref as well, but I'm staring directly at the prospect of becoming a fat-pogue in a cubicle farm for the remainder of my life, which absolutely does not excite me. And I'm really interested in going back into the Army National Guard, particularly an SF Guard unit. So, my question is this; based on my background, education, professional skill-set, and physical fitness level. Could I gain entry into a SF Guard unit at my age? Could I be considered for a slot to attend SFAS to see if I can make the cut for the Q-Course? And if that isn't at all an option because of my age, are there any support positions in IT at SF Guard units that I could fill, that would allow me to join the unit?
    Unfortunately, according to your stated prior service years and your age. You do not meet the age cut off requirements to enlist in the Army National Guard, much less attempt Special Forces.

Currently, the oldest you may be and still qualify to join the Army National Guard is 34*.

Prior Service are eligible for reenlistment if— the applicant 35 years of age or older has prior qualifying service which can then be subtracted from their current age, bringing their enlistment age to less than "35".

Example: PS applicant is 47 years old with 13 years of qualifying service, which brings the applicant to an enlistment age of "34". If the applicant only had 12 years of qualifying service then the enlistment age would be "35" and the applicant would not be qualified.
    De Oppresso Liber "To Free the Oppressed"

ARNG Special Forces Precision Recruiter

I apologize. You are correect. I didn't apparently bother to subtract 5 from 42 when I replyed to the post.

How about a 255A or 255N Warrant Offficer?
    Last edited by Mongoose772; May 15th, 2012 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose772 View Post
    I apologize. You are correect. I didn't apparently bother to subtract 5 from 42 when I replyed to the post.

How about a 255A or 255N Warrant Offficer?
    He still has to meet the age requirement for reenlistment. It would be one thing if he had just got off active duty 6 months to a year ago, but 18 years is a NO-GO.

Thank you all for your responses and continued service as well! @SF Hunter... As to the age requirement, does National Guard time count towards that as well? After I got off active duty I served a few years in the 970th MP Co. in San Mateo, CA. If that counts my total years of service is eight, that would put me right at the 34 number. I know it's cutting it close but I just turned 42 less than 30 days ago. And I would definitely be interested in a Warrant Officer slot if at all possible? I should probably just go see a recruiter asap.

Yes, I would recommend that you speak with a local Guard recruiter ASAP.