Thread: Ierw tdy?

Hybrid View

Default Ierw tdy?

Current pilots, or those going through the pipeline, did your state send you down to Rucker as a PCS order? Or did they send you TDY for the duration?
    Last edited by Fstbk272; September 20th, 2012 at 09:31 AM.

Default Re: Ierw tdy?

Yes it will be a PCS move.

Was hoping it wasn't.... The BAH rate down there isn't great at all... Once your through WOCS, and your in the pipeline, do you get provided barracks? Or do you have to find your own housing?

You have to find your own housing on or off post. I would recommend on post. You might be able to find a place cheaper off post, but the on post housing is pretty nice down here. Everything is taken care of for you (electricity, water, gas, garbage, etc.) and if anything breaks they're very quick to fix it (I just turned on stove after a long time the other day and realized it didn't work, stopped by their office on the way home to put in a work order, and by time I got home 5 minutes later the guy had fixed it and was walking out the door). It will also mean you can roll out of bed 20 minutes before class and still make it 10 minutes prior. If your married with a kid then the housing you get put in is brand new. Also if you have a lease you can't get out of or own a home in your state they will allow you to keep the BAH rate where your from.

Quote Originally Posted by Fstbk272 View Post
    Was hoping it wasn't.... The BAH rate down there isn't great at all... Once your through WOCS, and your in the pipeline, do you get provided barracks? Or do you have to find your own housing?
    There are no barracks, but there is on post housing. It is also dirt cheap to live in town.
    Staff Sergeant
    11B, 11C, 79T, 27D
    OEF 2002,Operation Anaconda
    OIF Invasion & 2009
    Rakkasan!!

Thanks for your responses. ack202, that last part was what I was looking for. My wife and I just bought our house in Oct last year. She'll be staying up here in MD, if I get into the IERW program.

They'll go over all of the details about how that works and wether or not you qualify within the first few days of your arrival at WOCS.

Thanks for your responses. ack202, that last part was what I was looking for. My wife and I just bought our house in Oct last year. She'll be staying up here in MD, if I get into the IERW program.
    Would like to know how that works out for you.
    Sgt, USMC
    Semper Fi

I wouldn't worry about "getting into the IERW program" unless you're close to the age limit. If you're a several years away then as far as I've seen most people will eventually get sent. It's really just a matter of patience.

TDY for a 18 month school? lol Well the rate is low because the housing area is inexpensive. Do you considered 1500 a month in BAH good?
    Chief Warrant Officer, US Army
    Former Marine & Guardsman
    OIF IV, OEF X & XIII "BASTOGNE!"

I looked at the calculator, and it said 1206 with dependents for Rucker, as a WO1. 1206 isn't bad, but it sucks when you have to find housing down at Rucker, plus pay for your house in the state you live in.
    Last edited by Fstbk272; September 20th, 2012 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fmcityslicker View Post
    TDY for a 18 month school? lol Well the rate is low because the housing area is inexpensive. Do you considered 1500 a month in BAH good?
    In many cases longer than that. There are W1s getting promoted to W2 down here and 2LT's making CPT before they graduate. Getting a medical downslip few days, having personal problems, failing a prog ride, or a check ride early on can result in getting pulled from training for a LONG time while they wait for a new seat to open up at your hour level.

ack202, What phase of training are you currently in?

Oh I know. I remember hanging at the Rucker Aviation Library back in 2008. Love those models. Good times.
    Chief Warrant Officer, US Army
    Former Marine & Guardsman
    OIF IV, OEF X & XIII "BASTOGNE!"