Thread: Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

Default Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

does anyone know what the current policy is on PA deployments?

Default Re: Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

I made your post an individual thread so that you can get more relevant responses.

If you are the assigned PA to an MTOE unit (Battalion Aid Station for example) and your unit is deploying, the policy is for you to deploy with your unit for the duration of the deployment unless sooner released by proper authority.

Quote Originally Posted by ncorthopa View Post
    does anyone know what the current policy is on PA deployments?
    The current policy memorandum for PAs is "180-day Boots on the Ground (BOG)" plus processing time on each end not to exceed 30 days. If you are deploying with your own unit you can voluntarily stay for the entire deployment.

After the 180 day period, you have 3 years before you can be deployed again.

Message me if you want me to e-mail you the current policy memo.
    CPT, SP, ARNG

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel36 View Post
    The current policy memorandum for PAs is "180-day Boots on the Ground (BOG)" plus processing time on each end not to exceed 30 days. If you are deploying with your own unit you can voluntarily stay for the entire deployment.

After the 180 day period, you have 3 years before you can be deployed again.

Message me if you want me to e-mail you the current policy memo.

My apologies. I usually try to make sure my homework is done prior to posting. I haven't seen the policy memo for PAs. I would think it would be quite complicated for a BAS to loose their PA 1/2 to 3/4 through a deployment cycle. I can think of cases where there would be no one else to replace them. I thought it was only Physician's with serious "special interest" issues. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose772 View Post
    My apologies. I usually try to make sure my homework is done prior to posting. I haven't seen the policy memo for PAs. I would think it would be quite complicated for a BAS to loose their PA 1/2 to 3/4 through a deployment cycle. I can think of cases where there would be no one else to replace them. I thought it was only Physician's with serious "special interest" issues. Go figure.
    My last unit was with a medical one and doctors only could deploy for 180 days (and I was there for a year). Now I know PA is not the same as a medical doctor but they do alot of the same functions. My experience with medical and medical service corps officers goes to show they operate in a "different" Army.
    Chief Warrant Officer, US Army
    Former Marine & Guardsman
    OIF IV, OEF X & XIII "BASTOGNE!"

That's how it goes. A new doc every 90 days, a new PA every 180 days. I did it last year in Iraq on the final rotation to operation New Dawn. Was deployed to an ASMC, which has 3 docs and 3 PAs assigned.

The unit PA can VOLUNTARILY stay for the entire deployment.
    CPT, SP, ARNG

Sentinel36,

I'm a new PA in the guard. If you could send me a pm, email or even post the policy letter info that would be very helpful. I know commanders like to have solid references (policy letter or regulation) when planning for deployments rather than having a cherry Lt say "I heard on the internet" or "my buddies unit does...."