Thread: No RN Slots, options?

Hybrid View

Default No RN Slots, options?

I am looking to join the Guard as an RN but may run into the same issues as many others with slot allocation. I am in Rhode Island and the number of slots in such a small state is limited. My question is about the ability to re-class if a spot becomes available. In other words, would I be able to join the Guard as Infantry and play around with that until an RN slot becomes available and then petition to switch over or would I be stuck until my contract is up?

Default Re: No RN Slots, options?

If you join as infantry on the enlisted side, there would not be a problem commissioning into an RN slot when it does indeed become available. This is due to the fact that you would sign a new contract to commission. If however, you were to go to OCS and commission infantry, it may be more difficult to change branches (not 100% on that). The biggest problem however, is finding and RN slot as they are limited. I have been a medic in the guard for a little over four years and have met one commissioned RN, the rest are enlisted medics because they had no slots. So there is another idea, if you really want to join the guard, why not enlist as a medic and at least learn the foundation of how Army medicine works until and RN slot comes open. Also, if you have the itme and money go get your PA-C, we always have room for PA's in the guard. Just to throw some ideas at you, I hope everything works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic-Man View Post
    If you join as infantry on the enlisted side, there would not be a problem commissioning into an RN slot when it does indeed become available. This is due to the fact that you would sign a new contract to commission. If however, you were to go to OCS and commission infantry, it may be more difficult to change branches (not 100% on that). The biggest problem however, is finding and RN slot as they are limited. I have been a medic in the guard for a little over four years and have met one commissioned RN, the rest are enlisted medics because they had no slots. So there is another idea, if you really want to join the guard, why not enlist as a medic and at least learn the foundation of how Army medicine works until and RN slot comes open. Also, if you have the itme and money go get your PA-C, we always have room for PA's in the guard. Just to throw some ideas at you, I hope everything works out.
    I am waiting to hear back from the recruiter as we speak. I am 11B prior service and would not mind going back in as 11A but would eventually like to get into my civilian specialty as a nurse. As you stated, these slots are hard to find. I am also pretty **** bent on going in as an officer, I already did the enlisted route and now would like to get credit for my degree. I appreciate the info, thanks.

Have you looked into the USAR as they have most of the medical units in the RC.

Talk to your AMEDD recruiter about serving as a non-clinical AMEDD officer (e.g., medical operations, medical logistics, patient admin, etc.).
    MATTHEW A. RITCHIE
    Lieutenant Colonel, Virginia ARNG

Don't post until you've read http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/35-Frequently-Asked-Questions