Thread: ANG/ROTC-SMP options for 2nd year law student

Hybrid View

Default ANG/ROTC-SMP options for 2nd year law student

I have just finished my first year of law school at the University of Colorado. I have two years left of law school, but want to begin my military service now. I want to join the JAG corps but am unsure about what officer programs are available to me during law school. I am open to national guard as well as active duty commitments after law school. I have a couple of questions.
    -If I join the national guard while still in law school (full time), will I be an officer (I have a B.A, in economics and business management)?
    -Is the SMP program available to me for my last two years of law school, and what type of commitment does that entail?
    -If I was to do some type of SMP program, is tuition assistance and/or a living stipend available to me?
    -Also, If I join the guard now (regardless of any JAG slot), can I transfer to active duty/full time JAG slot upon graduation with my commitment?

Thank you so much for any answers or attempts at answers. I am making contact with recruiters in my area as well, but it never hurts to get other guidance...

Default Re: ANG/ROTC-SMP options for 2nd year law student

-If I join the national guard while still in law school (full time), will I be an officer (I have a B.A, in economics and business management)?

You could get an Officer Candidate School contract, however if you want to be JAG there is no reason to do this. JAG is a direct commision, and you will come in as a 1LT not a 2LT

-Is the SMP program available to me for my last two years of law school, and what type of commitment does that entail?

Technically yes, but again if you are looking to commision as a JAG, ROTC becomes a moot point.

-If I was to do some type of SMP program, is tuition assistance and/or a living stipend available to me?

Yes and most likely.

-Also, If I join the guard now (regardless of any JAG slot), can I transfer to active duty/full time JAG slot upon graduation with my commitment?

Once you commision in a component it will be like pulling teeth to try and switch. You need to be aware that Regular Army JAG applicants who are selected come with a very large incentive in loan paybacks and bonuses, and the Guard/Reserves are minimal at best.
    Staff Sergeant
    11B, 11C, 79T, 27D
    OEF 2002,Operation Anaconda
    OIF Invasion & 2009
    Rakkasan!!

If you want JAG, it may be in your best interest to wait.
    Staff Sergeant
    11B, 11C, 79T, 27D
    OIF Invasion & 2009
    Rakkasan!!

Thank you for the information. If I understand correctly, it is not possible to do NG and ROTC for my last two years and then commision into JAG? Is that because I would have a different component during law school because I am not yet a lawyer, and that is difficult to change upon my degree completion?

Say, I do the SMP and am in a non-JAG component, how long would my commitment be to the NG before I could change my contract?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by LewisTurner View Post
    Thank you for the information. If I understand correctly, it is not possible to do NG and ROTC for my last two years and then commision into JAG? Is that because I would have a different component during law school because I am not yet a lawyer, and that is difficult to change upon my degree completion?

Say, I do the SMP and am in a non-JAG component, how long would my commitment be to the NG before I could change my contract?

Thanks again
    Can you do NG ROTC while in law school...yes. BUT people do ROTC for the purposes of commisioning as a regular officer (Infantry, Artillery and so on) not for special branch. It could be possible that you commision and get denied for JAG. They are two completly seperate commisioning processes.

You don't just "join" or "contract" to JAG. It is an application process and a tedious one at that.

I can't comment with accuracy about the commitment one way or another, someone else may be able to.
    Staff Sergeant
    11B, 11C, 79T, 27D
    OIF Invasion & 2009
    Rakkasan!!

You mean I can't just sign my name and become a JAG!? Ok, honestly, that would not be the end of the world for me, because if I was in the NG for something other than law, I could still be using my degree FT outside of the military. I am beginning to see your point about waiting for a direct commission. What kinds of loan reimbursement options are available if I try that route? Also, why doesnt the army have a program like the Air Force's GLP or OYCP!?

You mean I can't just sign my name and become a JAG!? Ok, honestly, that would not be the end of the world for me, because if I was in the NG for something other than law, I could still be using my degree FT outside of the military. I am beginning to see your point about waiting for a direct commission. What kinds of loan reimbursement options are available if I try that route? Also, why doesnt the army have a program like the Air Force's GLP or OYCP!?
    The regular component usually offers somewhere around 60K loan repayment and a significant bonus around the 5th year mark. However they renew this program every fiscal year and while I believe it will exist, there is no documentation out yet for this year.

The Guard incentives change at a rapid rate. However whatever exists would just be for you coming in as an officer (even for JAG) and wouldn't be JAG specific.

I don't know why the Army does it this way....or why we do half the things we do
    Staff Sergeant
    11B, 11C, 79T, 27D
    OIF Invasion & 2009
    Rakkasan!!

The Staff Sgt. is correct it is a tedious application process for JAG. And it is not guarenteed that JAG will accept you. I attended an Army JAG seminar 2 months ago and learned that the 2011 acceptance rate was about 12%. The Presenter stated in was much higher acceptance rate during the height of the wars, but has dropped as the wars wind down and the recession hit. When I looked into JAG, I was surprised at how different each branch is with the procees, age cut off, training, etc... Pros and cons for all. Good luck no matter what your decision is.

Thanks again
    Also, you may want to look into the other branches. I know the Air Force specifically has a ROTC contract for JAG, the others may as well. The Army just doesn't do it that way.
    Staff Sergeant
    11B, 11C, 79T, 27D
    OIF Invasion & 2009
    Rakkasan!!

I have just finished my first year of law school at the University of Colorado. I have two years left of law school, but want to begin my military service now. I want to join the JAG corps but am unsure about what officer programs are available to me during law school. I am open to national guard as well as active duty commitments after law school. I have a couple of questions.

Thank you so much for any answers or attempts at answers. I am making contact with recruiters in my area as well, but it never hurts to get other guidance...
    You've asked a number of what-if questions, but I would rather that you describe your goals and priorities. In what capacity do you want to serve after law school? Are you willing to take time away from school to devote to training obligations? Without knowing where you want to go, I can't give you the best recommendation of how to get there.
    MATTHEW A. RITCHIE
    Lieutenant Colonel, Virginia ARNG

Don't post until you've read http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/35-Frequently-Asked-Questions