Thread: 25B (prior service reclass)

Default 25B (prior service reclass)

Hello,
    I am active duty now E6 with 8yrs, I will ets in 6 months. I am enlisting in the Virginia National Guard as a 25B.

I found some information on the class schedule that i will post below. Question is will I be able to attend the shorter course or will I have to go to FT. Gordon for almost 6 months to reclass?

Info from ATRRS:

I was looking on ATRRS for course date for the 25B. My question is what is Nevada Regional Training Institute, (Information For Course 113-25B10(R). Are they saying that the NG soldiers do not take the 25B course at FT. Gordon?

"Special Information:

1. In accordance with TRADOC Directive, this RC course is logically phased, structured and sequenced for completion within 13 months (re: Memorandum, HQ TRADOC, ATTG-CD, 5 Nov 04, Subject: Total Army Training System Courseware (TATS-C) and Reserve Component Duty Military Occupational Specialty Qualification (RC DMOSQ) in One Year)

2. In compliance with NGB and USAR agreements with Signal Center proponents in February 2003, this RC course is specifically designed for modular completion based on individual pace as provided and accessed via the Fort Gordon University of Information Technology's (UIT) Lifelong Learning Center web site. The academic hours indicated in the Programs of Instruction (POIs) and the CMP are the times allocated for group-paced (lock-step) completion of the AC resident course, and do not reflect the actual training times that may be required for RC individual-paced completion using lessons that apply DL technology via UIT. At the time of this CMP writing, the Professional Education Command (PEC) is completing a pilot course to validate and ensure the RC course completion times are attainable within 13 months."

Default Re: 25B (prior service reclass)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.dolo
    Question is will I be able to attend the shorter course or will I have to go to FT. Gordon for almost 6 months to reclass...Are they saying that the NG soldiers do not take the 25B course at FT. Gordon?
    NG / Army Reserve have the option of attending the re-class short courses. You can, of course, attend the Regular Army IET course, but most reservists prefer not to. It will be up to your Training NCO and S-3 to decide where they are going to send you, but you will have a great deal of influence / input on that decision.

Great thanks, This just made my decison easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco
    NG / Army Reserve have the option of attending the re-class short courses. You can, of course, attend the Regular Army IET course, but most reservists prefer not to. It will be up to your Training NCO and S-3 to decide where they are going to send you, but you will have a great deal of influence / input on that decision.
    Active Duty soldiers can attend the short course as well. The only requirement is that the short course can only be used for re-class. When I reclassed in Tobyhanna, PA for 25U, the instructors mentioned NUMEROUS times that the short courses were not just for reserve components.
    Disclaimer: I am not a recruiter and cannot guarantee the accuracy of my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by 0844
    Active Duty soldiers can attend the short course as well. The only requirement is that the short course can only be used for re-class. When I reclassed in Tobyhanna, PA for 25U, the instructors mentioned NUMEROUS times that the short courses were not just for reserve components.
    Can short courses be used for NON-IET prior service that hold no MOS?

I have a few buddies trying to get back in and they havent been able to get a straight answer.

They have over 180 days in, completed BCT, but awarded no MOS before discharge.

Quote Originally Posted by qcomer
    You're in California, right? If so, the answer would be no (since this may be state specific).

We have a couple of people in similar situation. One prior Marine, state refused to send him to re-class because he did not have an Army MOS, so he had to go to the IET long course. Another prior Army whose MOS was discontinued is classified as 09B, has to go to long course for the same reason.

California OTAG will not authorize those without an MOS to attend a transition course. The logic is, "it's a transition course; you have to have a current MOS from which to transition."

You're in California, right? If so, the answer would be no (since this may be state specific).

We have a couple of people in similar situation. One prior Marine, state refused to send him to re-class because he did not have an Army MOS, so he had to go to the IET long course. Another prior Army whose MOS was discontinued is classified as 09B, has to go to long course for the same reason.

California OTAG will not authorize those without an MOS to attend a transition course. The logic is, "it's a transition course; you have to have a current MOS from which to transition."
    Makes sense - i know of some cases where it happened (not CA). Just wanted a more definitive answer for them.

That's interesting (bold portion of your post), as that's the exact situation I was in. I did not have an Army MOS when I reclassed via the short course. When I checked in they just put 11B on my paperwork. Other forms had my prior MOS as 31B (I'm in an MP company, but am not an MP) and another form had me down as a 13E (sorta what my MOS was in the Marines). All of those were just made up on the spot, though, as I did not arrive at the course with any Army MOS on my record.
    Disclaimer: I am not a recruiter and cannot guarantee the accuracy of my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by qcomer

I have a few buddies trying to get back in and they havent been able to get a straight answer.

They have over 180 days in, completed BCT, but awarded no MOS before discharge.
    My guess on that (and this is just a guess) is that it would be a hard sell. Like I mentioned in my post above, I didn't have an Army MOS, but I did have a USMC MOS. If someone was NON-IET but never MOSQed for anything in any branch, I think they'd have a tough time getting approval to attend a reclass course.

I am thinking of doing 25B but my recruiter didn't know at the time where AIT was... so we can go to Ft Gordon OR Nevada?
    -SGT Jeffrey Hughes (Former SSGT USAF SECFOR 04-12)
    MD Army National Guard
    MEPS PENDING

I have 25B AIT as being at Fort Gordon, GA. I would be interested to hear if anyone did training in Nevada!

Yeah I have only heard 25B done at Fort Gordon. But who knows with the way the military is changing nowadays.
    Former 11B/11C OEF Veteran
    IA and NJ Guard 2001-2009
    Check out my 104th PA LRS Video here

I believe there are MOS-T locations as well.
    Chief Warrant Officer, US Army
    Former Marine & Guardsman
    OIF IV, OEF X & XIII "BASTOGNE!"