Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: any RE4 waivers yet anywhere?

Default Re: any RE4 waivers yet anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by show_stopper999 View Post
    Keep your ACE Card on file! What was that acronym again? Accept, Commit, Execute?
    Never heard that one.....that's a good one! Suicide is no joke, I've been part of too many suicide debriefings this year alone. Seen many tears.....though glad I could be a small part of the catharsis process. I probably should not have phrased my post that way. I was not taking lightly the serious business of soul care. My bad.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; 4 Days Ago at 01:52 PM.

Yes, I should caveat as well that my joke is about the training, not the action! booyah
    2LT, IN
    NJARNG

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain4me View Post
    Never heard that one.....that's a good one! Suicide is no joke, I've been part of too many suicide debriefings this year alone. Seen many tears.....though glad I could be a small part of the catharsis process. I probably should not have phrased my post that way. I was not taking lightly the serious business of soul care. My bad.
    Do you think someone committing suicide during a Suicide Prevention briefing would put an end to these briefings?
    1LT IN NJ ARNG

Briefing and debriefing are two different things. Debriefings happen after a suicide has occurred. Some people aren't even aware of the suicide until the debriefing happens, it's a way to begin the healing process.

I think the Army's suicide prevention program is good. The level of soldier care has risen significant'y over these campaigns. For instance the Army has spent millions on addressing specific issues such as suicide and divorce. Though, some of the training may seem out of touch. These issues are being addressed from the highest levels of Command. I think that there are stereotypes, not everyone who kills themself is a combat veteran, however many are. I see things such as substance abuse and financial, relationship issues which contribute to the situation. Often people give no signs, they just do it. Like I said the highest levels of command are active in the formulating and monitoring this issue. Though one of the best preventives is buddy care. If someone says they feel hopeless or helpless, it's time to ask.

Chaplains don't typically do not do the suicide prevention program, not a chaplain's lane (I am not a chaplain, yet).

Sounds good, we all make mistakes. I was a ELS RE4 too, and should be CPT Dirt-bag in DEC. CPT Dirt-bag to the rescue! CPT Dirt-bag to help everyone out with their problems! CPT Dirt-bag reporting to help facilitate suicide debriefings and perform memorial ceremonies! UP UP AND AWAY! Sorry I have to go rescue the world.
    Yeah as soon as something opens up, I'm in.

Briefing and debriefing are two different things. Debriefings happen after a suicide has occurred. Some people aren't even aware of the suicide until the debriefing happens, it's a way to begin the healing process.

I think the Army's suicide prevention program is good. The level of soldier care has risen significant'y over these campaigns. For instance the Army has spent millions on addressing specific issues such as suicide and divorce. Though, some of the training may seem out of touch. These issues are being addressed from the highest levels of Command. I think that there are stereotypes, not everyone who kills themself is a combat veteran, however many are. I see things such as substance abuse and financial, relationship issues which contribute to the situation. Often people give no signs, they just do it. Like I said the highest levels of command are active in the formulating and monitoring this issue. Though one of the best preventives is buddy care. If someone says they feel hopeless or helpless, it's time to ask.

Chaplains don't typically do not do the suicide prevention program, not a chaplain's lane (I am not a chaplain, yet).
    My unit just started this "training" last drill weekend. It has come a LONG way from what it use to be. Personally, I think it's much more in tune with the reality that Soldiers are tough, but are imperfect humans with strengths, weaknesses, and personal challenges. Instead of saying "Suicide is a tragedy; be sure to watch your buddy for signs", it teaches each individual to identify their own mental hang ups and encourages seeking help. All in all, a more productive way of addressing such a hard topic.
    Follow SGT Fuggiti and SGT Howard on their Path to Victory.