Thread: Enlisting as E-3, two credits short.

Default Enlisting as E-3, two credits short.

My recruiter told me that I can enlist as an E-3 with 48 credit hours from college, I am currently enrolled in 16 credits and have 46 credits already earned. I was going to enlist within a week, so I can go through all the steps and MEPS with a basic ship out date in mid January. My question is: Technically speaking, I am 2 credits short of the 48 required credits to enlist as E-3, since the opportunity is RIGHT there, I'd rather enlist as E-3 even if it means waiting until this semester is over. I tried contacting my recruiter about this, but he has yet to get back to me. I'd like to know the answer to my question ASAP, so I can continue. I'm eager to join the NG, but I can be patient as well. Thanks.

Default Re: Enlisting as E-3, two credits short.

Quote Originally Posted by faitho_cross View Post
    My recruiter told me that I can enlist as an E-3 with 48 credit hours from college, I am currently enrolled in 16 credits and have 46 credits already earned. I was going to enlist within a week, so I can go through all the steps and MEPS with a basic ship out date in mid January. My question is: Technically speaking, I am 2 credits short of the 48 required credits to enlist as E-3, since the opportunity is RIGHT there, I'd rather enlist as E-3 even if it means waiting until this semester is over. I tried contacting my recruiter about this, but he has yet to get back to me. I'd like to know the answer to my question ASAP, so I can continue. I'm eager to join the NG, but I can be patient as well. Thanks.
    Based on this thread: https://webarchive.library.unt.edu/web/20121016190606/http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ollege-credits

I would recommend you wait until you complete the credits as long as you are seeking an MOS that is not limited in the number of vacant slots.

It's October and you'll have your 48 credits by the end of December (I assume). You can enlist as an E-3 at that point. However, if you enlist as an E-2 now, you would need 12 months Time in Service and 4 months Time in Grade before you can be promoted to E-3 unless your Company Commander advances you earlier.
    1LT IN NJ ARNG

I say go ahead and enlist before vacancies, requirements, or other condidtions change. E2 to E3 is pretty easy to make. Go ahead and enlist.

The difference in pay per drill is like 12 bucks. Therefore, you will come out even this year if you do not wait (generally speaking, you would make $100 more a month in BCT and AIT as E3). I think the two extra months of drill pay would be worth it, plus it takes a lot of time to enlist you may finish school before you're able to swear in anyways. You need to get on this horse and ride.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; 2 Days Ago at 07:06 PM.

As long as you have 48 credits before you ship you can be promoted to E3 after enlisting.
    VANG:1997- Current
    13B, 42A, 79T
    RSP NCO: Jan 07-Apr 12
    Operation Noble Eagle
    OIF III

Thank you everyone for the replies, I'm enlisting as is! My recruiter said I will can enlist now, and contract in as E-3

My recruiter said I will can enlist now, and contract in as E-3
    That doesn't make sense...enlisting and contracting are the same thing. I'm pretty sure you're just confusing what he said, but either way, you can join and still be promoted to E3 before going to basic training.
    VANG:1997- Current
    13B, 42A, 79T
    RSP NCO: Jan 07-Apr 12
    Operation Noble Eagle
    OIF III

Yes, you're correct, my mistake. Upon completing this semester I will be promoted to E-3 right before I'm sent to basic.

Yes, you're correct, my mistake. Upon completing this semester I will be promoted to E-3 right before I'm sent to basic.
    Go knock out a CLEP test at your school in a subject you are familiar with and have them transcript the credits. Almost all those tests are worth 3 credits in something.
    Staff Sergeant
    11B, 11C, 79T, 27D
    OEF 2002,Operation Anaconda
    OIF Invasion & 2009
    Rakkasan!!