Thread: Prescription Eyepro Issued for Deployment?

Default Prescription Eyepro Issued for Deployment?

I was just wondering if those of you who have deployed were issued prescription eyepro before you left. My unit gave me the standard ESS goggles and eyepro, but we weren't issued the prescription inserts for either. I'll probably end up buying my own to get a style I like more to take with me, but it'd be nice to have a backup set that I can actually use to see. Haha. And, obviously, I'll ask supply and see if they have any idea (though it's likely they won't with how disorganized things are at the moment).
    NVARNG - 31B

Default Re: Prescription Eyepro Issued for Deployment?

If you have provided either your medical group (during SRP) or your supply personnel with your prescription, then chances are the inserts for the eyewear you were issued is being made and will eventually catch up to you. That was the case with my deployment to OIF, got the inserts just after I got to pre-deployment training (which was Shelby for me) - while at Anaconda I was able to get extra inserts and actual glasses to replace those that were broken/lost/destroyed ordered as well.

Be advised to follow-up with your unit on this, to save you some money. I had a set of prescription military glasses made for me before I went (the "go-fast" or "Ranger" glasses with the rubber-band strap) paid about 350 when all was said and done - then after I got in-country was able to get the same eyewear on base at no cost. Deducted the pair I bought as a military expense on my taxes - and have a couple extra sets as back-up now.

I got the prescription inserts while I was still in basic....but then again, I have horrible eyesight
    PFC Cline
    G 700 FSC 1/160th FA, 45th IBCT OKARNG

Thanks LRSU. We did have our prescriptions updated during our yearly SRP, and I'm sure they'll be checked again during the deployment ones too (gotta love SRP). They fitted us for slightly (only very slightly) less hideous BCG's at SRP, but didn't mention inserts except for the gas mask and I forgot to ask. And yeah, the ones I'm looking at will be about $210 without shipping, so I'm definitely trying to hold off on that.

OKCook - I got those too, but have definitely misplaced them since. Haha. Not to mention they were all scratched up. I do still have my big ol' sweet BCG's that I could fall back on!
    NVARNG - 31B

ahh, the BCG's... yeah, those got destroyed.....our DS's let us wear those instead of the eye pro during BRM and all, which was very nice, since they fogged up less.....but on this same subject, anyone ever been issued the prescription inserts for the big sand goggles, ......
    PFC Cline
    G 700 FSC 1/160th FA, 45th IBCT OKARNG

It comes down to communication as usual. At SRP for deployment (and yearly I imagine) they should ask you if you need them. How it happens, more then once... SRP goes down a list and the list they happen to be looking at it doesnt include asking you the question if you have them or not, and someone in your chain of command halfway through the process will remember or someone will remind them that soldiers might need them (you arent alone) so then IF you happen to be in the right place at the right time you will get asked, but if you miss the mark, hopefully down at MOB's med you are asked... lol Its true. Same thing both places (took place with two different units because of (un)organization and not just mine, heard of other times.

Bring it up, to as many as it takes until you are confident they are on their way. But of course not all pesty like, just with your Next in Line at any point now, then at the SRPs and as mentioned, magically they appear at some point. You know when you are getting down to the wire and need to start asking more often.
    Oct '06 42A
    64th TC, 1158th Trans.
    OIF Feb '09 - Feb '10
    Currently 32d HHC IBCT
    RED ARROW

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaCook View Post
    anyone ever been issued the prescription inserts for the big sand goggles, ......
    Depending on the make and model of your protective eyewear, and the make and model of your goggles there will be a special insert holder (that normally comes with your prescription eyepro inserts) that clips into the goggles and allows you to mount your inserts into the holder. So, I have a set of ESS inserts and some ESS goggles - everything fit perfectly...

The advice on this is - no matter what eyepro you have, try to get an extra set of inserts to match your goggles if they are available.